Holiday and swarm control?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
have you seen the old queen?
if she is going to swarm she will look thin as they stop feeding her so she can fly.

Yes I've seen her but didn't see that she was noticeably thinner but to be honest I saw her before I found all the empty frames so didn't check her too thoroughly.

I just read the last two pages again.

Re age of queen: she was either a virgin (cast swarm) and would unlikely to be laying within a week of arrival - probably a lot longer, but not much less than a week, whereas an older queen would have started in lay after couple of days or so. If a laying queen on arrival, she was more likely to be from a previous year, but by no means certain (per eg they sometimes supercede before swarming if the current queen had swarmed previously).

Now your current problem.

No, the old queen is unlikely to swarm long after a new queen has emerged. She could possibly take some bees at the time for the new queen to take over completely, but rare, I think.

If there are polished cells, the new queen is likely about to lay.

There is no problem in getting a new queen mated now or in the next month at least, provided the weather is suitable. It is at the moment and is likely to remain so for at least September. Bees have been superceding late in the year for millennia. It is still August!

"Bees have been superceding late in the year for millennia. It is still August!"

:iagree:

not sure what the accepted rate is but there is a not insignificant incidence of new queens being found at first spring inspection which are obviously the result of successful supercedure post autumn shut down.

:thanks:Now that sounds sensibe -- thank you O90O and Dr S and all -- that makes sense. Yes, I think the old queen was already laying when she arrived last year in a swarm and so could be older than I thought.

Now I think about it, I saw/heard some increased activity last Sunday and thought it might indicate a possible swarm but actually, of course, it could have been a mating flight as there was no swarm.

I might delay varroa treatment until I see a decent rate of lay (fingers crossed!). I just hope I didn't damage/lose/'upset' her during my very thorough inspection -- and I took 2 supers almost full of honey off the next day (left a full one to keep them supplied because of the lack in the brood box).

Without trying to sound too sad, I'm quite excited -- this is my first supersedure if all goes well (and, yes, my wife thinks I should get out less...)

A result. A thinking beekeeper. You will progress quite quickly to a competant and confident beekeeper. Willing to learn, accept advice and observe. Things may not go to plan but are likely to. If they don't pan out as expected, you just need to think/arrange an alternative. Keeping on open mind is important.

RAB

:thanks: Thank you -- I'll take that as a compliment (although on reflection I did use the word 'think' rather often, which is ironic as I sometimes don't think that often!). As an update, I heard what I presume is queen piping the other night from this hive (sounded like an enthusiastic DIY-ing bee, making merry with a small hammer drill...). So hopefully that means all is on track with at least one queen.

I'm beginning to wonder -- and so is my family -- at the books that suggest beekeeping takes a couple of hours a month!

:I might delay varroa treatment until I see a decent rate of lay (fingers crossed!).

Good idea - and again, seeing the history of this colony, the varroa load shouldn't be too heavy - it might be worth leaving the Apiguard out altogether but making sure you do OA Christmas time - this should ensure the new quen gets a good load of brood going for winter bees.

:thanks: Thank you -- I'll take that as a compliment (although on reflection I did use the word 'think' rather often, which is ironic as I sometimes don't think that often!). As an update, I heard what I presume is queen piping the other night from this hive (sounded like an enthusiastic DIY-ing bee, making merry with a small hammer drill...). So hopefully that means all is on track with at least one queen.

I'm beginning to wonder -- and so is my family -- at the books that suggest beekeeping takes a couple of hours a month!

Think they meant day (and that's per hive)

Latest posts

Back