Hobby beekeepers winter losses in Oregon 16/17

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
http://pnwhoneybeesurvey.com/survey-results/2016-17-survey-reports/

Strange that I did not find this with E-browser. Firefox found it and smartphone.

016-17 Survey Reports

Winter Bee Losses of Oregon Backyard Beekeepers, 2016-2017 by Dewey M. Caron and Jenai Fitzpatrick (View PDF report here)

Lots of information

Here is couple interesting...

HiveType-ORnum.png

Last edited:
Those statistics just do not add up!
Where was beekeeper error?

Nos da

You may your brains

A good research has cross-examination questions. When you look what killed the hives and what are losses with dfferent varroa treatment methods, there is a big difference between in losses.

Last edited:
Interesting Finny have you copied all the charts or are you teasing uis with the hope of more to come?

Interesting Finny have you copied all the charts or are you teasing uis with the hope of more to come?

Personally, I'm looking forward to the multi-year analysis....but I think I'll be content with the one-page executive summary ;-)

Personally, I'm looking forward to the multi-year analysis....but I think I'll be content with the one-page executive summary ;-)

They seems to have 3 years data. Have you in UK this kind or knowledge?

I would like to copy same kind of data from Tamar Valley, if you have such.

Last edited:

Very interesting are charts, how beeks have trusted to small cells in varroa treatment and VSH bees.

Then the efficacy of Oxalic vaporazion. It is not best in the world.

Do nothing is better than Hopguard.

This is interesting too, is honey better winter food than sugar. Answer was, that there are no practical difference.

"One hundred three (103) respondents reported feeding frames of honey and 14 said they fed liquid honey. Loss rates were however not different from overall rates; those feeding honey in either manner had a 50% loss rate, not significantly different form the overall 2017 loss rate of 48%. Two hundred twenty-two individuals fed sugar syrup to their colonies. Overall losses were 47%, again not statistically different from the overall loss rate of 48%. Two hundred twenty two individuals reported feeding sugar syrup"

Bees kept in Oregon backyards have a tough life regardless of hive type/feeding/Varroa treatments etc.

Bees kept in Oregon backyards have a tough life regardless of hive type/feeding/Varroa treatments etc.

Yes, indeed. Losses from 34% to 70% depending on area. On average 48%.

Backyard beekeepers have double amount of losses compared to hundred hive owners.

Last edited:
notice that lower heat loss hives i.e. nucs, warre, top bar all had higher colony losses. Clear indication that the hives had top ventiliation.

notice that lower heat loss hives i.e. nucs, warre, top bar all had higher colony losses. Clear indication that the hives had top ventiliation.

Right. Empty box is usual over the hive.

IT seemed to me, that they do not use much insulation or wrappings.

Much starvations (13%).

Varroa losses have been estimated quite Low.

Last edited:

Yes, looking at other historical documents a 25% loss was considered a very good year (sorry from memory haven't references). The missing factor for this survey is the weather. Was it as the previous year or colder, warmer, wetter etc and just how long was the no-foraging season, again in comparison? There were less than 300 apiaries in the survey so the small percentage differences in some areas are well within the expected range of deviation and thus show no real difference. It's good information, but only useful seen within a long period of continuing results.

Latest posts

Back