Hivecl**n...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
OK, after worrying about our varroa drop - we didn't have one...we decided to use Hivecl**n...

Our drops varied in 24 hrs 4, 5, 14, 41 and 104 - so by the calculator I need to treat some again...do I continue with Hivecl**n or go strong?

I do not want to use OA as we lost several colonies last time we did...All advice welcome...')

I'd be inclined to not fiddle too much at the moment and take stock a bit later in the year.

Q59

Don't forget that the INPUT numbers used in the Beebase calculator are from a NATURAL drop, NOT a drop as a result of treatment.

I'd follow mbc's advice and leave them alone for a while.

CVB

I'm surprised that oxalic caused losses. Did you overdose perhaps? I agree that it's not the time to strart fiddling by opening hives now but later in,say, late March or early April if the weather is kind and if you can consider shook or articial swarming on the worst cases, that would be the time to do something about the varroa problem and imho there is ne better stuff than oxalic in that scenario. No doubt other advice will soon follow to contradict me.

No as we hadn't used OA before we were very careful with dosage - but within 3 weeks of treatment 3 hives died off - might have been nosema linked but scared us off OA really. We had only used Hivecl**n once to see what the drop was - and will now finish the entire course for 2 hives with highest drop...We are lucky that where we are the hives are in a sun trap and on the worst days we are several degrees warmer than the surrounding area...

to my knowledge, I have not lost a colony to Oxalic.

It is worth checking you supply or method.

Are you trying to eradicate every varroa from your hive? If you manage it, they will probably be back.
The idea of the treatments is to keep the varroa load under control and maximise effectiveness.

The bees are getting older. They need to be left alone and stay wrapped up, or you will not have enough strong bees in spring for build up and the emergence of the new generation.

Isn't Oxalic acid the active ingredient in Hivecl**n?

Ok well - I am not a miracle worker so Are you trying to eradicate every varroa from your hive? would appear to be impossible - What I do not want to do is lose hives through no treatment...

Amazing - everyone was opening their hives to put OA on a few weeks ago when it was much colder and no one commented and yet I am being slammed for doing the same with Hivecl**n...so you know what? I wish I hadn't asked...
:mad:

Queens59;392422 Amazing - everyone was opening their hives to put OA on a few weeks ago when it was much colder and no one commented and yet I am being slammed for doing the same with Hivecl**n...so you know what? I wish I hadn't asked... :mad:[/QUOTE said:
I haven't slammed you Queens. I think your point is completely valid.
I am happy to use Hiveclean too if required.
Cazza

Ok well - I am not a miracle worker so Are you trying to eradicate every varroa from your hive? would appear to be impossible - What I do not want to do is lose hives through no treatment...

Amazing - everyone was opening their hives to put OA on a few weeks ago when it was much colder and no one commented and yet I am being slammed for doing the same with Hivecl**n...so you know what? I wish I hadn't asked...

Why shouldn't the hive be opened or oxalic done this time of year...can someone explain?

the reason being that its not all to do with the temperature at the time of treatment.

and not everyone was opening their hives.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't the hive be opened or oxalic done this time of year...can someone explain?

Idea of using OA is when brood is at a minimum, whereas now they are probably starting to lay again so any OA treatment will be less effective than earlier in the year.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but worried in case I'd missed something. With such an odd year, been hard to work out when may be best

I haven't slammed you Queens. I think your point is completely valid.
I am happy to use Hiveclean too if required.
Cazza

same Q59, Bees are quite resilent if they have stores and the SW is warmer than most areas anyway

Though perhaps in the SW at present, i would be more worried that your Bees might drown if you opened up your hives too often

when will it top RAINING, i am see flooding in the chalk downland around Dunstable Downs now, possibley due to high ground water

We have had rain - but no more than usual - more in risk of hives flying away. We are 300ft up so not likely to flood. The slamming was for those who replied earlier and did so - short of checking who had OA's and who had not there is nothing I can do if everyone thinks I mean everyone and not a select few - sorry...and I NEVER do anything to put my bees at risk!

Oh and Pargyle? Your PM box is full so my reply couldn't be stored to reach you - clear a few out please???

Last edited:
It would be remiss of experienced beekeepers to advocate disturbing bees for little or no benefit to them at this time of year.
It is not rocket science as to why this is the case, but if anyone is in doubt they should run side by side trials of similar colonies, one group left to their own devices and another disturbed a couple of times eg. crown board off and a wetting with foreign liquid, and monitor the results to see which group has been put at more risk of harm.

Quite often hives that have suffered stress events- knocked over, leaky roof, mouse disturbance or whatever - appear fine if caught in time, but can suffer later on from nosema.

I've followed this thread and really can't see you being slammed as you put it. Maybe someone is pm-ing you with something different?
I understand opening up hives in cold weather is "a bad thing" but for those who wish to treat with OA it is something to be done for the minimum possible time at a probable broodless period. While open glance in and give fondant if needed, close up and leave well alone until it gets warmer and the bees become active. This underlines the advantages of clear crownboards which allow you to quickly look in without letting all the heat out of the hive.

Mbc and Gilberdyke...I opened each hive for about 60 seconds and dribbled on the hiveclean as I was worried about varroa - just like anyone who treated with OA. Bees here are so rarely broodless that I have little choice but to do it sometime!

Little or no benefit - a drop of 400 in 2 days from one hive is not LITTLE or No BENEFIT - But nice to see we are back to being sharp and judgemental again - such an unpleasant place to be again CHEERS

Back