Hive swarmed in May this year and again today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimy Dee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hello all. I have a hive that swarmed in May earlier this year and again to my disappointment it swarmed again today. I was not checking it for queen cells as I was of the opinion that if it swarmed earlier in May it was done with swarming. This is the first time I have seen a hive do this. Is this common?
Is there any particular reason why they do this or is it just the swarming instinct gone nuts?

This is the first time I have seen a hive do this. Is this common?

Yes - common reason for swarming is lack of space - if they build up strongly again - they'll go again, and again, and again..................

RAB, you mention strain: I get the impression that the majority of people's bees are similar to OP's as in they will try to swarm as soon as the criteria mentioned is met and usually as much as possible (like my own). Is the only way to curb this trait to buy in a "super queen" Buckfast for eg. Do you buy in Queens or have you managed to breed the swarm at the drop of a hat trait from them?

19 May and 21 June last year from my swarmiest strain, which I reckon was pretty good "going".... I'd picked it up from a well-known bee farm in late April. But I got the grand-daughter's number and ASed them on 20 April this year.

A swarm I collected in May swarmed again a month later. However, I think this is unusual. And to try to keep it unusual, the remaining bees from the swarm were Dequeened and merged with another swarm.

Back