Hive supercedure - mated queen - MAQS treatment - No brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My oldest hive went through supercedure 3 weeks ago, the virgin queen successfully mated, judging by the bees behaviour which mirrored a virgin flight. It was also warm 20 degrees for 1 week after queen hatched.
As varroa was high on this hive for this time of year even after treating with apiguard in autumn, as such I decided to treat with MAQS. In retrospect I wish I had waited until I had evidence the new queen was laying. I opened the hive up today and removed the strips which had been in for the last week and noticed no sign of brood at any stage. The brood frames are all being filled with honey. I'm a bit worried what to do next...
My other 4 hives are national unlike this one which is a dadant and I don't have any queen cells at present. I could cut a piece of brood frame from one of the national frames and put in dadant frame to allow them to draw into a queen cell but worried I will get an inferior queen. I could also just wait and see if the new queen which I didn't spot starts to lay...
The bees were extremely placid when I went through the frames today, no smoke needed, which would indicate the queen is still there.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Carl

Test frame first, if there is no queen you'll know in less than a week.

worried I will get an inferior queen

Better than nothing. Even better would be to demaree one of your colonies to get a good cell to transfer in if they are actually Q-.

Oh, and select the best for that.

Thanks for the advice

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I've cut a small section of unsealed brood from one of my other hives and inserted into one of the dadant brood frames. I'll have a look to see what the outcome is next weekend...bee-smillie

Latest posts

Back