hive roof

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iann41

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
quite a lot now
I'm after some tin sheet for the national hive roof. How thick and any recommendations where I can get some cheap? thx Ian

P.S. How shall I go about bending it?

Do you know any printing companies that use aluminium sheets for printing. You could purchase ones that they no longer use.

The majority here are of such.. Undestructable, just put shiny side down.. to don't have to wear sun glasses.. I bought some hive roofs in rush which are with shinny side up, really going on my nerve..

Do you know any printing companies that use aluminium sheets for printing. You could purchase ones that they no longer use.

They get about 80p each for the extra large size( which is what you want) if they recycled them. My local printer gives them away free for beehives 60 have cost me 4 jars of honey so far.

Let's get real , here.

Poser means tin plated steel, I think. Tin is just too expensive.

Galvanised steel plate is good enough, but heavy - compared to aluminium (density is >x3 that of aluminium).

The printer's scrap sheets are not indestructable - they may only be 0.25mm thick! Shiny side up at least reflects away the Sun's rays so the roof is cooler to the touch. Mind you, the hives may be better camouflaged with the printed side up!

millet is right about the thicker caravan cladding. Better than the printing option if cheap enough.

A brake is good for bending, or fold over a sharp edge (which will not be so neat). Thin aluminium will easily crack if work-hardened.

Last edited:
The majority here are of such.. Undestructable, just put shiny side down.. to don't have to wear sun glasses.. I bought some hive roofs in rush which are with shinny side up, really going on my nerve..

if it is aluminum: dissolve some dishwasher soap (basic solution) and rub it on. it will corrode and leave you with a perfect mat surface.

Latest posts

Back