Hive positioning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I live in a village or about 30 houses surrounded by fields which are mainly grass with the odd farmer growing wheat or rape seed oil. There's also plenty of woodland around.

My garden is about 2 acres and backs onto fields with a neighbour's garden to one side.

The far end of the garden is divided in two with a hedge running down the middle.

On one side is a lawn which faces south. The hives could be positioned here just back from a hedge. There is no shade and it is the more windy of the two sites. The site would get sun all day and into the evening.

The other potential site backs on to an old barn with 20 meter beech trees as the border. The area is an orchard with a dozen or so apple, pear and cherry trees. The position also faces south but is more shaded than the other spot though less exposed. It is not in complete shade, it has overhanging branches which give dappled shade. The site gets sun in the morning but not the evening sun.

Which would be better - a sunny spot or a more shaded sheltered position? The two site are only 40 meters apart but offer quite a different environment

Any advice gratefully received.

Both sites face south which is an advantage, but spots would be fine, without any shade at all the full sun site would become very hot in summer, my preference would be with dappled shade as long as some morning sun reaches the hives and leaves don't drip water on the hives. your lucky to be able to choose, most of the time you have to take the lesser of two evils, my main concern now when selecting new sites is how close I can get my van to the bees.

Last edited:
Hi Beejuice,
Some of the principles of siting hives are: to protect them from E and N winds, entrance facing S or SE for the sun to hit them early in the morning to encourage foraging, and not to site them where they don't get any sun. Mine get some shade late afternoon which stops them bearding. Do keep low flight paths away from neighbours as they will sting if they inadvertently end up in someone's hair. Over to you.

I'd be inclined to go for the site in the slightly more sheltered position in the orchard. The exposed site in sun and wind might get the bees out and about a bit earlier in the morning but there is the possibility of getting overheated in a hot summer and too cold in a wet and windy winter.

The other advantage of being in an orchard is you should not have too much trouble retrieving swarms!

CVB

I'd be inclined to go for the site in the slightly more sheltered position in the orchard. The exposed site in sun and wind might get the bees out and about a bit earlier in the morning but there is the possibility of getting overheated in a hot summer and too cold in a wet and windy winter.

The other advantage of being in an orchard is you should not have too much trouble retrieving swarms!

CVB

Only if on M6 stock !

Nos da

Thanks for the replies. My initial idea was to site the hives in the sunny site and I have now set up a hive (s) stand. But as I read and learn more I keep thinking the Orchard site offers more. The opinion of the forum seems to confirm this. I am lucky to have two possible sites and in time I will probably use both... I think I will move the stand and introduce the bees to the sheltered, but still sunny site.

Thanks, Jim

Hmm mm. ..... now I'm undecided. My first thought was the sunny site and that's where I'm set up. It would be easiest to leave as it is and expand to the other site..

I've got he winter to think about it

Hmm mm. ..... now I'm undecided. My first thought was the sunny site and that's where I'm set up. It would be easiest to leave as it is and expand to the other site..

Imo go for the sunny site, you can easily shade them if it ever get's too warm, then you have the added benefit of a bit of sun during the colder monthes, and if it is still exposed to the winter you can add shade or use
wind break's easily.

Sunny site
This guy's bees in Turkey manage OK and it's much hotter there.

Attachments

• DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 17

Well .. that's what beekeeping is like .. more answers than questions and at the end of the day you just have to make your own mind up ... but .. on this occasion, I think it's six of one and half a dozen of the other ... not sure it will be bad in either one of your choices .. just possibly less good ? Try them both ...

Don't need a winter to think about it, just trial both and see which is the best.

I'm in the process of moving to north staffs and I've got to find a home for 7 colonies so I'll take one off your hands :)

Don't need a winter to think about it, just trial both and see which is the best.

I'm in the process of moving to north staffs and I've got to find a home for 7 colonies so I'll take one off your hands :)

I would love to share my space and have an exerienced bee keeper on hand... but I think I will end up using both sites. PM me if some land near Swynnerton would be of interest to you.

Apple trees seem to have the cover bees favour ... But apples can grow tall enough to worrying and with dense branching to be almost impenetrable.
I would not want to recover a swarm from my friend old cider apple orchard.

Clip your queens, it won't make them more thermally efficient, but will help to stop swarms from flying off.

Latest posts

Back