Hive not taking Syrup - why?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judas2610

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi all
I put syrup onto my two hives a month ago and it looks
like the girls have just ignored it.
The flow finished here in August and I treated with Apigard
for Varroa. I fed them after the treatment.
Any tips for me to get them to take it before winter comes?
Thx
Pat

I have top feeders on the hives - the
supplier calls them 'Jumbo Rapid Feeders'.
The syrup is 1lb sugar to a pint of water
- is that 2:1? And they looked fairly empty
of honey when I looked last.thx

I have top feeders on the hives - the
supplier calls them 'Jumbo Rapid Feeders'.
The syrup is 1lb sugar to a pint of water
- is that 2:1? And they looked fairly empty
of honey when I looked last.thx

No, thats 1:1, the strength you will need in spring. Double the amount of sugar for a new batch.

If they dont take it try dribbling a bit of the syrup down the holes to remind them where it is

If you use Hivemakers Thymol recipe they will
1 find the 2:1 and store it away
2 possibly get through winter without Nosema
3 have syrup not infected with spores from evey where else
4 not have to disturb with OA trickel on Ground Hog Day!
though I expect some low level flak for stating that last one!

TIN HATS ON !!!!

Make some up at 2:1; i.e. 2lb sugar to 1 pint of water and as suggested, trickle a small amount down.

1:1 is far too weak for this time of year. They have to work extra hard to reduce the water content.

Give them all they will take until they stop taking it.

Hi, do your bees know that the syrup is there, try running a dribble of syrup down the whole in the centre, the bees will follow it to the feeder.
Steven

From another posting on here, I noted that those specific feeders have feet so that they can sit directly on the brood frames.
Someone else had a problem using it on top of a crown board - which was resolved by dropping some twigs down the central hole to provide easier initial bee access.
And I've also seen people say that flavouring the syrup with something the bees like (thymol, lemongrass oil, ...) helps them become aware that the feeder is there for them.
But pouring a little syrup down the central hole is the simple, standard thing - don't worry, the bees will clean it up!

You could do all of those things at the same time!

Do just check that the syrup is 'fresh'. If its fermenting and covered in black mould, you wouldn't want it and it won't be good for the bees. Nice clean feeder!
And 2:1 is so-called because its 2 pounds sugar to 1 pint of water - add boiling water to the sugar and stir and stir and stir. No need more heat, it will dissolve.

it looks like the girls have just ignored it.

Perhaps they didn't find it
Perhaps the varroa treatment deterred them initially
Perhaps it has fermented and is no longer palatable.
Perhaps there are other reasons? Like sick and poorly bees?

Most people with a couple hives buy sugar in one or two kilogram bags these days. So easy to dissolve 2kg in 1 litre (1kg) of water, or multiples of that. So very easy.

RAB

old sugar they will often ignore as it will have started fermenting. Thymol will prevent this.

get the syrup as close as possible to the bees, I often put even contact feeders directly on brood frames.

bees will often take inverted 'commercial' sugar when they won't takle 'standard' sugar, used this trick twice this year on colonies not taking standard syrup to good effect.

dribble syrup onto bees and around the area.

all have helped in the past and don't forget not to buy sugar from Tescos :)

Pat,

If the sugar has been on for a month its probably fermenting - unless it's been treated with thymol. You can smell or taste fermented syrup.
Chuck it down the drain, clean out the feeder well to destroy the yeast that causes the fermentation and start again. 2:1.

I find no problem with their prices here in Dublin - £0.83/kg. (€0.95)

I can buy bulk sugar arranged by my association but between petrol and road tolls to get it, it's not worth the bother.

I though you might be suggesting their sugar was an inferior product.

Thanks for getting back.

I find no problem with their prices here in Dublin - £0.83/kg. (€0.95)

Would you still be happy with them if you had arranged with the manager to have a load delivered for 60p kg, then they charge you 83p kg when it gets delivered.

please tell Tescos that, they have a different view.

Advertise the syrups pressence by the addition of 1 drop lemon grass oil per 30 ltr syrup (18Kg sugar + 9Ltr water), irrespective of whether you've added a thymol emulsion. Never had a prob with them finding it whether or not there is a treatment eke, apiguard or what ever on between the hive and the feeder. R

Latest posts

Back