Hive in tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich reed

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all, I'm a tree surgeon and must admit I don't know much about bees. I had to remove a large decayed tree located next to a house and when we started to dismantle it we discovered a large bee nest within one of the hollow trunks of the tree. I contacted a local bee keeper and a pest control company who both agreed that the hive would have to be destroyed. Reluctantly we had a company come out and destroy the hive. When we got to removing the limb with the nest it was evident that the majority of the bees were dead however one last section of hollow trunk that we removed still seemed quite active with bees. On completion of the job the following day the bees were still active so I decided to seal up the foot long section of wood and brought it home. The section of wood is now at the back of my garden, I have raised it up onto blocks and have put some roof tiles over the top leaving space for them to enter and exit the hive. I have taken a couple of peaks inside and there still seems to be a lot of bees in there together with the remaining honeycomb. So my question is do you think they are going to survive and is there any advice that anyone can give me.
many thanks
Rich

Good on you. Leave them to sort themselves out. Once established you can get them out and into a hive (with help)

Bees rarely need destroying.

Reluctantly we had a company come out and destroy the hive.
Hi Rich

What time of day did the company who came to destroy the colony come?
If they came during the day, there is a fair chance that the activity you saw was returning foragers. If they came at dusk, most of the foragers would have returned to the nest already.

It is quite difficult to say whether the bees could recover because we can't know if there is a queen or brood in the section of tree you have. In any case, if any chemicals were used to kill the colony, there is a chance the comb would be contaminated and they would die.

I'm sorry but thats about all I can say

Hi thanks for reply, yes this is what I had feared, unfortunately it was about eleven o clock on a sunny day when the hive was destroyed and it looked like a lot of chemicals were used, so I guess I just leave them for now and see what happens??

Did the pest controller specify what should happen to the honeycomb after he had administered the powder?

H I guess I just leave them for now and see what happens??

A beekeeper could probably investigate whether there is a queen and/or brood but I am reluctant to suggest you do this yourself without the necessary equipment.
Contamination of the comb may not be visible so, if it is contaminated, they will most likely die pretty soon. If it isn't, and the colony is viable, they still have time to recover before winter given the right care.

I don't quiet get this I keep bees and a pestie why didn't the beekeeper give the tree surgeon a suit and cut the trunk open take the bees comb put in a brood box and then at dusk take them somewhere ????

Hi all, I'm a tree surgeon and must admit I don't know much about bees. I had to remove a large decayed tree located next to a house and when we started to dismantle it we discovered a large bee nest within one of the hollow trunks of the tree. I contacted a local bee keeper and a pest control company who both agreed that the hive would have to be destroyed. Reluctantly we had a company come out and destroy the hive. When we got to removing the limb with the nest it was evident that the majority of the bees were dead however one last section of hollow trunk that we removed still seemed quite active with bees. On completion of the job the following day the bees were still active so I decided to seal up the foot long section of wood and brought it home. The section of wood is now at the back of my garden, I have raised it up onto blocks and have put some roof tiles over the top leaving space for them to enter and exit the hive. I have taken a couple of peaks inside and there still seems to be a lot of bees in there together with the remaining honeycomb. So my question is do you think they are going to survive and is there any advice that anyone can give me.
many thanks
Rich

It's easy to criticise from afar but I would have worked with you, loaning you a bee suit if necessary for you to drop the bit with the bees in and open it up so I could get a reasonable chance of hiving the colony. It could all have gone wrong but it's worth a try.
If the section you have now removed was far from the treated part it's just possible the poison didn't reach it. Time will tell if this is the case and if there is the queen or even some young larvae which could be used for emergency queen cell production. Live in hope but don't be surprised if they don't make it.
Keep us informed how things progress over the next month or so.

Derek, the law is as the pesticide label states......seal all possible entrances to the treated colony (the danger being robbing of contaminated comb) One can only guess as to what actually happened, and under what circumstances.
Forestry operatives as a rule are keen to rescue.

Rich I'm away for a week if you want me to come and have a look I will on my return, but probably as already said the bees you have may be the ones out at the time

Thanks Andy if the bees are still alive and your in the area your most welcome to take a look
Thanks for all your comments guys, if they don't make it I've certainly
Learnt a bit about these fascinating little fellers.

Latest posts

Back