Hive in the city centre - Netherlands.... advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inatiswas

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello

We live in the centre of a Dutch city and our neighbour put hives on his roof terrace last week. It's a big house converted into offices so only occupied during business hours.

It's incredibly hot here at the moment and on Friday there were approximately 50 bees on our garden table drinking water as they were obviously thirsty. We've asked him to put water out for them.

The concept of bee hives is great but the proximity is only about 8 meters from our courtyard from ground to terrace and in a very built up area. Last night we could see lots of bees flying around the hive and also in our courtyard. I'm not sure the location is ideal.

We want to be able to sit outside in the evening and at weekends without bees constantly buzzing around us.

Can anyone offer advice please?

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you like the concept of beehives. You have done the right thing by putting your query here.

I am sure you will get many sympathetic and useful suggestions from the forum members. Have a little patience. Knowledge and solutions will be posted.

Talk to your neighbour and get him to teach you about bees.
You may find it interesting and find that even though the bees are buzzing about your courtyard that they are not going to attack you.

Bees normally leave their hive and fly to a height of seveal metres within a very short distance, which possibly means right over your garden.

My guess is that the bees may only be looking for water in your garden and you could put some out for the bees in a place where the bees will not annoy you..

It may make a difference if he move the hive/s to face a slightly different direction.

I'm not sure how much knowledge he has to be honest. He doesn't live there, it's his office. Whilst I like the concept of bee hives I don't want them myself, that is for others to enjoy. The roof terrace he has them on is approximately 3 metres by 3 metres and enclosed on 2 sides so limited space to move them around.

We have water out for the birds given the high temperatures currently. Our garden has a depth of 3 metres and a width of 8 metres so we don't have the space to place water far from our house. The bees aren't just flying up high, they are coming to ground level.

Will they perhaps settle after their move?

Will they perhaps settle after their move?

They might and they might not.

I have bees in my back garden but wouldnt put bees in a place as small as that.
It seems as if he hasnt really given it much thought......If any at all.

Go and see what water supply he's got for them.

Bees need a water supply where they can stand at the edge of the water and drink.

A plate or dish with some small bits sof wood or even kitchen paper soaked in water because they can stand on it.
Once they know where the water is they will drink and fly back to the hive.

A jam jar with small holes punched in the lid and hung upside down. Filled with water of course.

We can't see what water supply there is, if any. We told him yesterday when he came to check on them that they needed water as they were coming to our garden for water. We will have to wait to see if things change.

We are only about 40 metres from a canal, I don't know if this is too far for them.

There is a storm forecast here tonight which will give them water but from what I've read could also antagonise them.

I will update the forum in due course.

Thanks for your help.

Don't worry about the stormy weather. This weather affects the mood of the bees IN the hive. Beekeepers postpone doing anything at their hives when storms are around.

The scout bees will have reported the location of the canal (and other water sources) to the hives. They will also have reported nectar and pollens sources up to a kilometer from the hives. Bees can forage up to 3 miles from the hive if need be.

The hives do not appear to be in an ideal place for beekeeping. It may be worthwhile to casually ask why the keeper has moved the hives to this position.

As dishmop adviced. Ask him to turn the hive (not move), so the entrance faces in another direction, ie maybe the opposite direction of your garden, if possible....

Latest posts

Back