Hive heater

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Seen this on eBay, any one had any experience?

Look at this on eBay:

12 pcs NEW electric heaters for hives Beekeeping Equipment + to 15 kg of honey

Item 320960048829

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine bees in the UK can pretty much survive any of our winters, I wouldn't use one.

Seen this on eBay, any one had any experience?

Look at this on eBay:

12 pcs NEW electric heaters for hives Beekeeping Equipment + to 15 kg of honey

i dont why these are used anywhere ... you can easily make a hive that the bees don't even need to cluster until the outside temp goes below -25C.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit over eight quid delivered in the UK? A better deal than many available here, if you think you are in to that sort of thing. Might turn out to be 110volts, so check up first if you are thinking of buying.

A better bet might be this seller in Honiton: epay item 290772723528

A bit over eight quid delivered in the UK? A better deal than many available here, if you think you are in to that sort of thing. Might turn out to be 110volts, so check up first if you are thinking of buying.

A better bet might be this seller in Honiton: epay item 290772723528

Fleabuy ad says 12v...... may be necessary for them imported types of bee
used to Mediterranean climates:willy_nilly:

i dont why these are used anywhere ... you can easily make a hive that the bees don't even need to cluster until the outside temp goes below -25C.

Any specifications and how do you think it would affect wintering and spring development?

Power seems high to me for UK, if you used them (another debate there) then I suspect only a fraction of this might be needed.

"may be necessary for them imported types of bee
used to Mediterranean climates"

my ligustica were perfectly happy under 2m of snow earlier this year.

no need for heaters and OMFs OPEN.

Any specifications and how do you think it would affect wintering and spring development?

see the thread DIY poly

How it will effect the bees? they should get on fine since its a lot closer (thermally) to the environment they evolved for (average tree nest dimensions T. Seeley & Morse 1975. unpublished comparative hive thermal performance data D.Mitchell) than conventional hives

i can see why finman uses them BUT he has to get his bees built up ready for a 5 minute summer after a prolonged winter.

There are lots of heaters that are built into a car that could be used, heated mirrors and seats are 2 that can be picked up from a scrap yard. the mirror heating element can be removed from the back quite easaly, I don't know the output rating and have never used one but worth a thought in conjunction with a wind or sun generator

Am I the only one flinching at how much the electricity bill would be each month?

At 12W per heater max this is not expensive on the electricity costs even in the UK!

At 12W per heater max this is not expensive on the electricity costs even in the UK!

Less than 30p a week per hive - if they were on all the time! On an external thermostat, set at 'minus a bit' Celsius would cut the consumption by a large margin for most times in the UK winter. Internal stats would increase the initial equipment cost considerably for non-DIYers, I would think.

Considered trying it but never have. Pikeys would likely pinch the battery if in a remote situation!

reality would be pennies a week depending on when / if it was needed at all. 12w is on the cook scale rather than the warm one!

I've seen that ad, been on there a long time. Seller has a thermostat controller which he promotes to use with them, about £29. I kind of thought that as its damp not cold that kills them why bother? Surely added heat would mean unnecessary brooding throughout the winter and more stores required? (Not talking about use in really cold places).
Please correct me if wrong.

70 US dollars. What it is used for? Warming honey?
Not at least hives.

Hive heater is 15 $

Latest posts

Back