Hive Building Day in North Manchester Sat Feb 6

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Our local Beekeepers Support Group is holding a hive building workshop in Moston, North Manchester tomorrow, Saturday Feb 6th between 11 and 3.

Due to the late notice (sorry about that) if anyone is interested in attending please email me direct on samurailord @ hotmail.com and I will give you full directions.

This is our first hive building workshop where you will be taken through the steps necessary to construct your own hive from a flat-pack kit.

There will be a printed copy of a hive building manual for everyone attending.

This session is intended for National hive building only.

If you have your own national hive equipment to build then bring it along, or you can work on the flat packs that will become our communal hives which also need to be constructed.

You will also need to bring some tools. The minimum you will need to bring is a hammer. .

Tea and coffee will be provided on the day but please bring your own lunch. Alternatively there is a sandwich shop at the end of the road that is open until 2pm and there is a One Stop shop across from there.

A donation of £2 minimum is required from everyone attending in order to cover the costs of using the Scout Hut.

What a brilliant idea, ;) the association will get help knocking the boxes together and the people learning how to put a hive together will get charged only 2 quid, personally i would donate more, also i bet this little exercise will give a lot of new folk knowledge about bee keeping other than building a National .
Brilliant Brilliant and good luck on getting the hall full with the short notice.

What a great idea, come on Herts/ Beds you must need some help!!

Great project, well done you. We run an evening of frame assembly for new beekeepers that keeps our training apiary top up with new frames and foundation for that year, JBM only need to straighten the odd one or two.

Its part of our new apiary project which got us a grant for a fence. We have built one of the association hives today. There is one more to build. We will be doing training once the season starts.

I would like to thank Oliver St.John for the hive building booklet. He very generously allowed us to use it for our workshop today.

It was a lovely day!Photos on our facebook group.

Its part of our new apiary project which got us a grant for a fence. We have built one of the association hives today. There is one more to build. We will be doing training once the season starts.

I would like to thank Oliver St.John for the hive building booklet. He very generously allowed us to use it for our workshop today.

Pleasure - thanks for the feedback!

Stick some picture up on the forum i don't go on the facebook and i bet many other members do not.

Last edited:
12698373_10153800947355259_3210879790935055588_o.jpg

Does that work?

Love the T-shirt the bloke is wearing in the last pic.

That's not a bad turn out for the short notice given, could you not organize another session like that for the folk who could not make the deadline as they seems plenty of room for a lot more folk.cracking effort by the way.. ;)

There were 13 people who came. A couple who just had an interest in finding out a bit more, a couple just to support us and assist - John who has polyhives but knows how to use a hammer too!
One person will be buying her hive shortly!

We're only an informal group so not a bad turn out at all. We have been meeting in a local club for a few months now. They're good evenings too, lots of chat.

I'd taken Nic's basla wood models along to the last one and they went down very well. I keep saying I will take better photos of them and get them online too. :)

There were 13 people who came. A couple who just had an interest in finding out a bit more, a couple just to support us and assist - John who has polyhives but knows how to use a hammer too!
One person will be buying her hive shortly!

We're only an informal group so not a bad turn out at all. We have been meeting in a local club for a few months now. They're good evenings too, lots of chat.

I'd taken Nic's basla wood models along to the last one and they went down very well. I keep saying I will take better photos of them and get them online too. :)
I did see a little model on the table on a stand, its a shame you lot where not local to me, i'm new to keeping bees with a lot to learn, but as far as messing about with wood goes i don't need to learn much, but then again if i did turn up folk would not bee happy when i throw the hammer and nails in the bin and get my cordless drills and screws out of the box..:D

I did see a little model on the table on a stand, its a shame you lot where not local to me, i'm new to keeping bees with a lot to learn, but as far as messing about with wood goes i don't need to learn much, but then again if i did turn up folk would not bee happy when i throw the hammer and nails in the bin and get my cordless drills and screws out of the box..:D

Cordless drills are fine! The kits come with nails, so we showed them how to use nails. (That's the royal we, as actually I don't do boxes, just the frames)

Latest posts

Back