Hive 470mm x 470mm help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I have been given some brood boxes and supers. They measure 470mm square. Top bar gap is 452. The brood box is 263mm and super is 220mm.

Sounds to me like if you can increase the thickness of the frame rests, then you can use British National frames with it. The brood box has a bit of an odd height, but if you use only one brood box per hive then you can get away with using British National brood frames and simply letting the bees build extra comb at the bottom. Your supers sound like they're the exact right height for British National brood frames.

If you turn the boxes upside down, do British National frames fit perfectly into the boxes? If so, then you can possibly create frame rests by glueing 1" thick pieces of wood to the sides of the boxes.

I believe I may have purchased some of these brood boxes in 2011. The seller's surname was, (if I remember correctly) Ryan. It was an e bay purchase and before purchase the seller confirmed they were nationals. When the boxes arrived, it was clear they were not Nationals. There was a lot of arguing and the seller finally admitted that they were not nationals but were a batch that his grandfather, (a commercial Beek) had made in China. I got a refund as the boxes were not as described. The boxes variously needed 12 or 18mm inserts inside the boxes to create proper bee space and most of them needed a 5mm lip added. For the final price I was happy to modify them: some were cut down to make nucs and I made some twin stocks also. A word of warning. Before use I immersed all the boxes in scalding hot water containing caustic soda, they were then immersed in a solution of Hypochlorite and then had a couple of rinses in cold water.

Was that a beekeeping supplier in York? They had loads of 'wrong' sized boxes on sale at one time.:icon_204-2:

The supplier was not in York I just took them to see if he could tell me what they were. This supplier you mention, it's possible they came from him. The person who has them now just bought the container and they are just in the way. She is thinking about converting them to kindling.

They could be used for feeders or something though I bet. All may not be lost.

Seems such a shame as they are very well made and in great condition.

Thanks

Jez

I believe I may have purchased some of these brood boxes in 2011. The seller's surname was, (if I remember correctly) Ryan. It was an e bay purchase and before purchase the seller confirmed they were nationals. When the boxes arrived, it was clear they were not Nationals. There was a lot of arguing and the seller finally admitted that they were not nationals but were a batch that his grandfather, (a commercial Beek) had made in China. I got a refund as the boxes were not as described. The boxes variously needed 12 or 18mm inserts inside the boxes to create proper bee space and most of them needed a 5mm lip added. For the final price I was happy to modify them: some were cut down to make nucs and I made some twin stocks also. A word of warning. Before use I immersed all the boxes in scalding hot water containing caustic soda, they were then immersed in a solution of Hypochlorite and then had a couple of rinses in cold water.
I wonder if they are the same lot. I only got 2 to see what they were like the frames had national foundation in them unused on the ones I got. The others had been used and were full of comb. I have never seen so many hive boxes.
A few other people have mentioned a batch from china who knows. They might make a half decent wind brake..

Jez

Seems such a shame as they are very well made and in great condition.

Perhaps a new beekeeper in your area would be willing to take them on, if they can be had for very little. Making custom-sized frames is an effort and is cumbersome if you already have other sized boxes, but for a beginner (who will spend the first few years learning anyway) it may be a good deal. Simple frames aren't difficult to make.

Latest posts

Back