Himalayan balsam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethjbarry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I have just seen that the balsam has started to flower. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it might last and how much my bees might bring in. Ie will i be getting supers full or will i not notice? Any info would be great! Many thanks.

It will last until the first frosts. Usually into October in my area

The balsam in the Sheffield area has been really early this year by about a month, I usually have it for my winter supplies but this year it may not flower for so long? Until the first frosts you would normally be okay, but this year you will have to wait and see and learn. Never had flowering of Balsam, lime and blackberries at the same time before.

beenice

- your blackberries still flowering? almost ready to pick here, must be cold up t'north

rb

Balsam just flowering here, Brambles still in flower and Willowherb still going strong.

Same here - just noticed this morning the whole side of the old coal tip less than a quarter of a mile opposite the valley to me (now semi wild parkland) is plastered in willowherb - it's all just come into full bloom the last week, there's loads the length of the railway line as well. no wonder the bees are filling up space at a crazy rate.
Sorry I couldn't get the photo on it's side as it should be - my IT skills aren't that clever :D

Last edited:
Yeah we will have brambles in flower here but coming to an end. Im not sure if i should be expecting another frame or supers worth of honey from the balsam. Any ideas?

My brambles have just started here, and the Balsam has been out for over a week and the lime has just about come to an end

The balsam in the Sheffield area has been really early this year by about a month, I usually have it for my winter supplies but this year it may not flower for so long? Until the first frosts you would normally be okay, but this year you will have to wait and see and learn. Never had flowering of Balsam, lime and blackberries at the same time before.

There will be less in Millhouses Park as The local rag had someone asking for volunteers to get rid of it. I emailed and asked them to deal with it as it was going over as it is such good forage for all the bees. and to replant with Lythrum Salicara and Caltha Palustris to stabilise the banks. I notice that where it has been cleared in past years the river has washed away the bank and has been coffined, no doubt they will ignore me.:hairpull:

Bramble, Loganberry, Lythrum, Fuchsia, and Willowherb(epilobium). Not to mention rocket, chard and radish all deciding it has been too hot before the rain came and deciding to bolt. Oh well seed for next year hopefully.

Last edited:
I was told recently that balsam requires an amount of rain for it to continue to flower.

Is this so?

Dusty

Probably depends where it is, river banks have plenty of water for the roots to get to: better drained land might need more rainfall.

I was told recently that balsam requires an amount of rain for it to continue to flower.

Is this so?

Dusty

From the forecast it looks like there will be more than enough rain.

Hopefully enough of this as well though :sunning:

M

To me it would appear there is a lot less HB than last year.. Plants are smaller and fewer. It's not that it's late as it is flowering and has been for 2-3 weeks.. Maybe the cold spring followed by a hot spell ?

Thats good news jenkins! Their is loads of it as the river curves right around my site within a mile of the hive. Has anyone tasted balsam honey, if so what do they think? May be how many out of 5

To me it would appear there is a lot less HB than last year.. Plants are smaller and fewer. It's not that it's late as it is flowering and has been for 2-3 weeks.. Maybe the cold spring followed by a hot spell ?

Lack of moisture knocks them back as they are very shallow rooted!
I've seen them totally collapse when any distance from a water source.
The clue is in the name Himalayan.
VM

Latest posts

Back