Hi from the High Peak!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isitafox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hey all, just found this forum so thought I'd sign up!
I'm all set to build a couple of Langstroth hives to get me started next year and will be joining the local beekeeping association to get some advice.
My boss got me into it after he told me about his dad and the hives he has so I thought I'd give it a go. I picked up a copy of A Practical Manual Of Beekeeping by David Cramp from the library and had a good read of it before I made my decision on what hive I wanted and how to go about getting setup so here I am!

Welcome to the forum.

In my association, a joiner newbee read up on beekeeping. He read that the Lang was the most popular (worldwide) hive. Without checking with local members, he made a couple of beautiful Langs. He got his bees this year and had to manipulate to transfer them from the local National frames and into his Langs. ....... I think he is the only member of the large local association who has Langs.

I think I will now need to don my body armour.

:welcome:
Love your username :)
Might it be better to wait until you join your association first, and get some advice, before embarking on the Langstroths?

cramp may think he's right, but you may find you are better off starting with nationals - the most popular pattern with hobbyists in Britain - i think it's something like 90% (in Wales in any case)

cramp may think he's right, but you may find you are better off starting with nationals - the most popular pattern with hobbyists in Britain - i think it's something like 90% (in Wales in any case)

+1 ... Even my Long Hive has 14x12 frames as compatibility with National boxes gives you so much more options. Langstroth are the most common in the world but the UK is (from everything I've seen) predominantly Nationals.

I'd echo some earlier posts and see what beekeepers in your association and locality are using and go with whatever they are predominantly using.

I went down the same investigation as you and made the wrong decision ... then changed everything !

Hello. I like my WBCs. They mean a bit more work, more lifting, but as I only have two, I manage.

I like the lifts as they give extra protection in winter. The lifts also provide somewhere to rest the boxes on during inspections. The bees seem to like the landing stage which has also provided an area for the guard bees to tackle the odd wasp that's ventured in.

It's personal taste in the end though. Good luck.

Sound advice, will look at nationals as I see Langstroth nucs are more expensive anyhow.
Probably get snowballed with this one but can anyone advise on some decent straightforward plans for National hives? I'm hoping to get some built up soonish so I can get an order in for some nucs to get started in the Spring.

EDIT: I may look into buying a flat pack but it depends what's gonna work out cheapest!

Last edited:
I'm, going to stick my neck out a bit and ask why it's necessary to have the same hive type as everybody else in the area?

It's bad practice to borrow equipment, and once you've got two colonies on the go it's unlikely you'll need to worry where you can get a frame (or a patch) of brood to test for queenlessness.

If you start off with standard nationals you're more than likely going to need to use brood and a half or switch to 14x12.

Lang nucs may be more expensive but, because the frames are larger than Nats, will (should) contain more bees.

Probably get snowballed with this one but can anyone advise on some decent straightforward plans for National hives? I'm hoping to get some built up soonish so I can get an order in for some nucs to get started in the Spring.

EDIT: I may look into buying a flat pack but it depends what's gonna work out cheapest!
Dave Cushman's site is the one stop shop for everything
http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/newhome.html

As for flat packs, have a look at the maisemore sales or thornes (T's will have a mail order sale on probably later on) second quality cedar at a reasonable price.

I'm, going to stick my neck out a bit and ask why it's necessary to have the same hive type as everybody else in the area?

Most nucs are in national format, also if you have the same format as everyone else in the area you will find it easier to do things like obtain a frame of eggs if you need to check for presence of queen, or indeed if you've lost the queen and want them to raise their own emergence one.
Why is it bad practice to borrow kit - as long as you follow biosecurity procedures there shouldn't be a problem. And especially if starting out you may not have evrything you need straight off.
More than likely to go brood and a half - why?

If I get a flat pack National I can always get it with a 14x12 from the start.
Last but not least, any recommendations for where to order a nuc from? I assume it will be a collection only job so preferably somewhere relatively close to Buxton would be best though beggars can't be choosers!

Phew .... it's a relief to get the armour off.

Buxton has a wonderful climate. Every year it seems to be cut off by snow for some of the time. I would endorse good advice in post #2.

I used to have 14 x 12s but after a health scare changed to single brood standard Nationals. A full 14 x 12 box is heavy. Lifting one to do a unite is awkward.

Well I never did get started this year due to a number of things but I'm planning on trying next year. Ordered my own copy of the Haynes Bee Manual last night so I can read it and refresh my memory and I've decided that when it gets time to sort some hives I'm going to get some Nationals from Peak Hives in Tideswell.
Seems the most sensible solution and they can help me sort some bees out as well!

I did plan on attending a beekeeping course but due to my job it wouldn't be possible so I'm going to have to learn the hard way!

Start yourself off with commercials - no swarms, bees available as nucs, cheap as nationals.

If I get a flat pack National I can always get it with a 14x12 from the start.
Last but not least, any recommendations for where to order a nuc from? I assume it will be a collection only job so preferably somewhere relatively close to Buxton would be best though beggars can't be choosers!

Hi there. I was walking Jacobs ladder in high peak yesterday. Starting from edale and then around the crests in a big horse shoe. Love the peaks

I got my first hive from Peak Hives.
There is another apiary meeting from Stockport this season, over the Snake, at a heather site, if you are around on Saturdays in September.

Latest posts

Back