Hi from Nr.Daventry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chippit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I have been thinking of keeping bees for a long time (tried to get a swarm rescued that had flewn down my Mums chimney but it was too difficult for anyone to collect.) Also years ago I watched a swarm, still remember it to this day. I have found a course with the Rugby bka that is running next year and have put my name down for that, I have to say I am a little nervous but looking forward to seeing how I get on. I go round at work saving the ones that get shut inside.....it's a start:spy:

I am a woodworker by trade and would like to find out alot more about building my own hives frames etc. can anyone recommend books on this.

Regards Christine

Sounds like you have got things in hand and hope you enjoy the journey. As a woodworker you can save yourself a fortune. You will have to decide on the type of hive you will make or use but for now this site is a good help for drawings just click on drawings.

Good luck

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/newhome.html

hi Christine and welcome
there are a lot of swarms around royal oak area i have seen three this year but unable to coax down to my bait hives next year put some bait hives out you never know

Welcome.....make more hives than you will need, as you WILL need them, ask before you do something you are not sure about, and keep smiling whatever anyone says to you. It is the most rewarding hobby, not least for the honey and has kept me in after dinner stories for thirty years!

Hi Christine, lots of us Newbees out here - and building our own hives (mainly Top bar hives as they are a bit simpler to make and there is less in the way of critical dimensions to worry about).. You'll find lots on the web if you goggel top bar hive plans - some great yew tube vids there as well, lots of good ideas on this forum as well. Have a look at:

Beekeeping Forum > Beehives > Beehive types > TOP BAR HIVES>cheap top bar hive, part 1 .

It's taken me 2 years to get to the point where I feel ready to actually get some bees ... as a woodworker you'll find it very easy woodwork and many make their hives from all sorts of scrap timber.

Wish I was as good at typing as I am screwing bits of wood together !

Best of luck with it.

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Christine

Welcome to the forum. There are a few bee keepers in the Daventry area (most of whom belong to the Northamptonshire BKA). I'm sure you'd be welcomed at any meetings, etc and to visit local apiaries.

welcome fellow newbie,
loads of plans online for some lovely beehives. I also signed up for beginneers course early next year in northamptonshire cant wait. Have ordered the books mentioned by others for my winter reading!

Hi Christine,

Welcome to the forum.

You clearly intend to keep bees in a conventional framed hive system - not as one of the side-stream groups?

As posted, the hive plans are detailed clearly in the late Dave Cushman's website along with a plethora of useful beekeeping facts and other information.

Also, as posted, you need to decide a format unless you intend trying out just one or two samples of different types, as compatibility between types is near non-existant in the main. Converting from one type to another usually means disposing of the old and replacing with new.

Langstroth is the most widely used format in the world and British National boxes are most common in the UK. I started with National deeps and converted to 14 x 12 (which is a simple extension to the brood box and new, deeper frames). Each has advantages and disadvantages, so choice is a 'best compromise' situation.

Outside (frame) and internal (boxes) dimenensions are important to leave an appropriate bee space for satisfacrtory operation, but compatibility with fellow local beekeepers is a plus, but not an overriding requirement.

I run top bee space, but most National hives are configured with bottom bee space. The most popular framed hive format in the world, the Langstroth, uses top bee space. Go figure why the British chose bottom bee space!!!

Maybe a PM to Olivia9801 might be a possible (you need a few posts before you can PM)? She has built her own just this year.

I have always bought in the basic deep brood, as sales seconds, and converted with an eke as that route was the cheapest and easiest way to go, for me. Latterly I have made the rest of the outers myself, but never bothered with the frames. Now using some poly. Avoid ply if you wish to keep the overall weight of the boxes down.

You will get much more info on the net (various web sites and here) than detailed dimensions, etc in books.

RAB

Thankyou for the welcome and advice, I would like to keep bees in a conventional frame hive system but not sure which type to choose, can anyone advise or recommend books to help me choose. I would like to get some hives made this winter as I am very limited for time in the summer because of work, that way I may stand a chance of actually getting some bees next year (more likely to remember what I have been taught as well)
Regards Christine

Thankyou for the welcome and advice, I would like to keep bees in a conventional frame hive system but not sure which type to choose, can anyone advise or recommend books to help me choose. I would like to get some hives made this winter as I am very limited for time in the summer because of work, that way I may stand a chance of actually getting some bees next year (more likely to remember what I have been taught as well)
Regards Christine

purchase, and read Ted Hooper's excellent 'Guide to Bees & Honey', oft referred to as 'the bible' of beekeeping
once you've read it, read it again!!

(I keep by bees in Commercial Brood boxes, with top bee space)

If the Ted Hooper book is a bit daunting - although it is the Bible of Beekeeping - try the Haynes Bee Manual.... its really clear - with great photographs.
Welcome to the forum btw - it is an invaluable resource!

Regards Christine
Full set of plans here post 12 http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16932&page=2

This is for the British national hive, there are many hives you can buy or build but the 3 most favored in the UK are the national, commercial and langstroth, the latter being the most popular around the world. There is a section on the forum for us diy'ers
PS good luck and welcome

Latest posts

Back