Hi from North Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I half expected this thread to have been deleted by the moderators and I am glad that it hasn't been. It is a good example of how we should not be talking to new Forum members. I was so disappointed to read your comments. Have you all forgotten how difficult it was to start this 'hobby'? You don't know where to turn or who to go to. You just want to keep bees. Here is a person who has tried. They have joined a group of people who also like to keep bees instead of trying to go it alone and you have berated them for doing so. How are they supposed to know if bees are endangered or not? they still haven't got any of their own and yet you jumped on the group that was offering them help and assistance because of one phrase. Shame on you.
We have just lost someone with a real interest in beekeeping because you don't like a phrase that a group they belong to to help them get started. I am embarrassed by the attitude that 'we' showed to a new member on the forum and only wish that they had stayed long enough for me to apologise to them. We are here to help and guide, not disparage and mock someone who has not even got bees yet. You may not have wanted it to come over that way but it did in my eyes and clearly did in theirs too. Maybe we can be a bit more understanding to all people on here that we all have our own ethos on how and why we keep bees and accept that that ethos may not be for everyone.!
I slept on this thread before I typed this..... or I might have walked too!
Enrico
I'm with Enrico on this one. Maybe we should all bite our tongues when people come out with outrageous statements or ideas we consider rather wacky. Wait until they have explained the background before we challenge them?

Better to just say hi, welcome to the forum.

I'm with Enrico on this one. Maybe we should all bite our tongues when people come out with outrageous statements or ideas we consider rather wacky. Wait until they have explained the background before we challenge them?
There was no outrageous statement other than a mention of joining a certain beekeeping group. Regardless of the opinions of 'twee' beekeeping groups, Amanda has (had) joined this forum and will (would) no doubt gain lots of helpful advice that will (would) give her a good understanding of beekeeping.
I bet every forum member has gained more info here than at their associations.

Better to just say hi, welcome to the forum.

There was no outrageous statement other than a mention of joining a certain beekeeping group. Regardless of the opinions of 'twee' beekeeping groups, Amanda has (had) joined this forum and will (would) no doubt gain lots of helpful advice that will (would) give her a good understanding of beekeeping.
I bet every forum member has gained more info here than at their associations.
Unlike Enrico I haven't slept on this first, though I do agree with him. I don't think its simply a matter of 'biting of tongues', of percieved 'outrageous statements' or even acknowledging a 'knee jerk' reaction
Age or enlightenment gave me the realization that my capacity to look at things differently was either taken from me or buried under layers of preconceived, even misconceived ideas.
A diverse, inclusive forum provides the knowledge and experiences from a broad cross section of beekeepers and helps bring the forum closer to the people it serves.
Maintaining an open mind and engageing with new people free of expectations and assumptions is a challenge. Does awareness of my own bias make it easy for people to participate in forum resources?

yes, read that and went no further if they don't know the facts about bees, what chance do they know much about beekeeping?
From where I stand there is a singular critical lack of factual awareness among almost all beekeepers. I'm sure I don't need to rehearse it again.

The assumption of all-seeing beekeepers that they know all there is to know is extremely unhealthy to the art, and to the forum. They way they act, in concert, to stifle conversations that might enlarge their own understanding is bullying in nature, and engenders and maintains a tragically narrow, simplistic and damaging orthodoxy.

It's likely of course that new beekeepers, and 'alternative' beekeepers are also labouring under various misapprehensions. The relationship of the art (and the industry) to its wild cousins, to the natural environment, to the food supply, is complex. But it is a valid topic of discussion for the forum, and it is noteworthy that those who have the most beekeeping knowledge are not necessarily the most knowledgeable, or the keenest to learn about it. It often seems that discussion is being forcefully kept within their area of expertise in order to allow them to maintain a perception of their own status as bee gods.

Latest posts

Back