Hi from North Devon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for allowing me to join. I am a complete novice to bee keeping but have joined a class with the north devon school of country bee keeping where I will become a member.
I am just getting my hives set up and am looking for a colony, preferably from north devon, if anyone knows of anyone who has a colony to sell. Thank you 😊

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of beekeeping ! There is a for sale/wanted section in the forum where you can post your requirements .. What sort of hives are you going to be using ?

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/forums/beekeeping-classifieds-for-sale-wanted.86/
It helps if you add your location to your profile as responses can be more specific if we know where your bees will be based.

Hello, thank you for allowing me to join. I am a complete novice to bee keeping but have joined a class with the north devon school of country bee keeping where I will become a member.
I am just getting my hives set up and am looking for a colony, preferably from north devon, if anyone knows of anyone who has a colony to sell. Thank you 😊
Welcome

Who? what?
And another one intent on saving the bees .... " The North Devon School of Country Beekeeping was formed in response to an increasing need for beekeepers to provide homes for the rapidly declining population of honey bees. "

Will it ever end ?

Good grief! You’d think after all this time spiel like this would have worn thin. Throw another skep in the fire

Hi Amanda and welcome. Perhaps your beekeeping association you mention has bees.
I have to say this though….. honey bees do not need saving…. Unless from beekeepers.
They are not in danger. In fact some scientists say they are competing with wild pollinators to their severe detriment.

Hi Amanda and welcome. Perhaps your beekeeping association you mention has bees.
I have to say this though….. honey bees do not need saving…. Unless from beekeepers.
They are not in danger. In fact some scientists say they are competing with wild pollinators to their severe detriment.

I’m not sure why you have responded like this and made a very wild assumption, that and the other person who has made what I consider a rather judgemental and disappointed comment, especially to a newbie. If you knew the association (who do keep bees and are just a school) then you would know that they are just a group of keen beekeepers who want to pass on their skills and allow others to enjoy the art of beekeeping - Not a group of bee saving soldiers!
totally disappointed that this has come from a moderator of the group. I am making the decision to leave and will certainly not recommend this group to anyone. 😔

I’m not sure why you have responded like this and made a very wild assumption, that and the other person who has made what I consider a rather judgemental and disappointed comment, especially to a newbie. If you knew the association (who do keep bees and are just a school) then you would know that they are just a group of keen beekeepers who want to pass on their skills and allow others to enjoy the art of beekeeping - Not a group of bee saving soldiers!
totally disappointed that this has come from a moderator of the group. I am making the decision to leave and will certainly not recommend this group to anyone. 😔
Heavens
This is their home page.
What does the first paragraph say?

6BBC4334-E649-4574-9BA2-D7FCA979CC03.jpeg

I’m not sure why you have responded like this and made a very wild assumption, that and the other person who has made what I consider a rather judgemental and disappointed comment, especially to a newbie.
Excuse me
I welcomed you and suggested the association you joined might have bees
Then I suggested that honey bees don’t need saving.
Where is the wild asssumption?

Excuse me
I welcomed you and suggested the association you joined might have bees
Then I suggested that honey bees don’t need saving.
Where is the wild asssumption?
Whilst it is disappointing that 2 moderators are being judgemental about the group, it is not necessarily the case that aspiring beekeepers join because of the blurb on a website.

This group might be the only one that is the nearest and the most convenient to attend as well as the nearest for beekeeping courses. The wild assumption could be construed as a personal attack against @amandajhumphries

And another one intent on saving the bees .... " The North Devon School of Country Beekeeping was formed in response to an increasing need for beekeepers to provide homes for the rapidly declining population of honey bees. "

Will it ever end ?
yes, read that and went no further if they don't know the facts about bees, what chance do they know much about beekeeping?

This group might be the only one that is the nearest and the most convenient to attend as well as the nearest for beekeeping courses. The wild assumption could be construed as a personal attack against @amandajhumphries
Well it wasn’t and I apologise if that is the impression Amanda got

Yes. I’m beginning to think so.
Posts might be better suited to the beginners section
I half expected this thread to have been deleted by the moderators and I am glad that it hasn't been. It is a good example of how we should not be talking to new Forum members. I was so disappointed to read your comments. Have you all forgotten how difficult it was to start this 'hobby'? You don't know where to turn or who to go to. You just want to keep bees. Here is a person who has tried. They have joined a group of people who also like to keep bees instead of trying to go it alone and you have berated them for doing so. How are they supposed to know if bees are endangered or not? they still haven't got any of their own and yet you jumped on the group that was offering them help and assistance because of one phrase. Shame on you.
We have just lost someone with a real interest in beekeeping because you don't like a phrase that a group they belong to to help them get started. I am embarrassed by the attitude that 'we' showed to a new member on the forum and only wish that they had stayed long enough for me to apologise to them. We are here to help and guide, not disparage and mock someone who has not even got bees yet. You may not have wanted it to come over that way but it did in my eyes and clearly did in theirs too. Maybe we can be a bit more understanding to all people on here that we all have our own ethos on how and why we keep bees and accept that that ethos may not be for everyone.!
I slept on this thread before I typed this..... or I might have walked too!
Enrico

I half expected this thread to have been deleted by the moderators and I am glad that it hasn't been. It is a good example of how we should not be talking to new Forum members. I was so disappointed to read your comments. Have you all forgotten how difficult it was to start this 'hobby'? You don't know where to turn or who to go to. You just want to keep bees. Here is a person who has tried. They have joined a group of people who also like to keep bees instead of trying to go it alone and you have berated them for doing so. How are they supposed to know if bees are endangered or not? they still haven't got any of their own and yet you jumped on the group that was offering them help and assistance because of one phrase. Shame on you.
We have just lost someone with a real interest in beekeeping because you don't like a phrase that a group they belong to to help them get started. I am embarrassed by the attitude that 'we' showed to a new member on the forum and only wish that they had stayed long enough for me to apologise to them. We are here to help and guide, not disparage and mock someone who has not even got bees yet. You may not have wanted it to come over that way but it did in my eyes and clearly did in theirs too. Maybe we can be a bit more understanding to all people on here that we all have our own ethos on how and why we keep bees and accept that that ethos may not be for everyone.!
I slept on this thread before I typed this..... or I might have walked too!
Enrico
Yes you’re right Eric. Knee jerk reaction from another thread. I have apologised and so has Philip so maybe Amanda has stayed. I hope so

Back