Help: WASPS in the Bee Shed!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
:eek::eek:

Any ideas??

I have a wonderful shed in which I keep all of my beekeeping equipment - including spare drawn supers etc.

I now appear to have a colony of wasps which I think have built a nest in there, too! :rant: I really need to dispose of them.

I am guessing that an insecticide powerful enough to dispose of the wasps nest will leave a residue on the supers etc that will not be good for the health of my bees. :eek::eek:

So what would you do?

Any ideas??

I have a wonderful shed in which I keep all of my beekeeping equipment - including spare drawn supers etc.

I now appear to have a colony of wasps which I think have built a nest in there, too! :rant: I really need to dispose of them.

I am guessing that an insecticide powerful enough to dispose of the wasps nest will leave a residue on the supers etc that will not be good for the health of my bees. :eek::eek:

So what would you do?

Stick your bee suit on. Remove everything bee related out of the shed temporarily. Get rid of wasp nest then after a length of time (maybe over winter) move the bee stuff back in ? Pyrethrins you would use for wasp nests have a short half life I think.

So what would you do?
Find out where they're getting in ready to seal over winter. Clean out at some point over winter to reveal any hibernating queens and remove the empty nest. Your supers are going to need some insect proof covers, but that's the case against wax moth anyway. Other than that, leave them to it.

might be that there is no nest,tha wasps can smell honey.they seem to find holes that bees cant get in,so are busy cleaning the supers out.seal any holes in the shed and cover supers.there numbers will decline soon.dont worry too much about supers and wax moth,
they are only usually intrested if there has been brood in them.

as a pestie, Id say leave the chemicals alone, you dont want to be using something like ficam D anywhere near bee stuff, simply wait till dusk (having found the nest ball) large bin bag, place over nest, grasp around top and remove the whole lot in one go, take away from any bees/equipment and then sprays fly spray/wasp nest destroyer etc directly into bag, or seal bag and place in freezer

Call a local beekeeper and ask them if they would remove the wasp nest for you,they often get called out to get rid of wasp nests.

I get loads of them as well....

Id say leave the chemicals alone, you dont want to be using something like ficam D anywhere near bee stuff, simply wait till dusk (having found the nest ball) large bin bag, place over nest, grasp around top and remove the whole lot in one go, take away from any bees/equipment and then sprays fly spray/wasp nest destroyer etc directly into bag, or seal bag and place in freezer

Way to go if there is a nest and it's worrying you.

Chris

Call a local beekeeper and ask them if they would remove the wasp nest for you,they often get called out to get rid of wasp nests.

Typical answer If they can`t show how clever they think there are all they can do is mock

burn sulphur in a tin bucket in the shed... hopefully will get rid of any moths as well

Typical answer If they can`t show how clever they think there are all they can do is mock

Hive maker is a tolerant and knowledgeable beekeeper plus a moderator on this forum . He is also human and sometimes a question will arise that tempts anyone to reply with a funny answer :). I detected no sneer !!
The OP could just leave the wasps to nature and then remove all traces in his own good time will no resort to chemicals of any kind !
You've gotta see the funny side of a bee keeper posing such a question , obviously he took his eye off the ball and posted in haste . We all do these things from time to time ,thus risking a little mild fun poking :D
VM

Find out where they're getting in ready to seal over winter. Clean out at some point over winter to reveal any hibernating queens and remove the empty nest. Your supers are going to need some insect proof covers, but that's the case against wax moth anyway. Other than that, leave them to it.

Thats a great idea, and DD please save nest for CBKA display (unless you really want to keep it).

Stick your bee suit on. Remove everything bee related out of the shed temporarily. Get rid of wasp nest then after a length of time (maybe over winter) move the bee stuff back in ? Pyrethrins you would use for wasp nests have a short half life I think.

This happens to me every year. It's probably not a nest, just sniffing around for honey, especially if they find a source.
I used to be bothered by it but now I ignore it. They clean up any sticky bits and leave my shed clean and tidy. It only lasts for a few weeks and isn't worth stressing over.
Carolyn

as a pestie, Id say leave the chemicals alone, you dont want to be using something like ficam D anywhere near bee stuff, simply wait till dusk (having found the nest ball) large bin bag, place over nest, grasp around top and remove the whole lot in one go, take away from any bees/equipment and then sprays fly spray/wasp nest destroyer etc directly into bag, or seal bag and place in freezer

As ratcatcher says this is the easiest way to get rid of wasps. Got the T-shirt.;)

They clean up any sticky bits and leave my shed clean and tidy. Carolyn

Tidy perhaps but never clean.

Wasps are just as dirty as filth flies. They route through fecal matter and rotting flesh/carrion - pick up lots of nasty bacteria and then land on our food . To cap it all, wasps are 'wet' insects and are almost constantly peeing on everything. :ack2:

In the evening just pop the nest in a bin bag, seal carefully, put in another bag and then into the freezer for a couple of days. Don't forget to put on your veil and suit of course. No chemicals required!

Any ideas??

So what would you do?

Do you know any local anglers, they like them for bait?

Grubs on the hook, the nest for groundbait.

Hi, I had a small nest in my bee shed also but caught it before it go too big.

I never use pesticides. Just put on your bee suit and get a large heavy plastic gardening/bin bag and drop it in - take it away into a wood/forest and empty it. It is paper like so will dissolve in the rain and the wasps will fly away.

Back