Help needed with hives after illness.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spinney

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I don’t know which thread this should belong to. I have 4 hives in my garden. I had chemotherapy last year and my near neighbour was amazingly helpful. Unfortunately she has retired to the seaside !
I experienced very aggressive behaviour , covering my veil upon opening the hive and stinging my upper arms through the sleeves of my suit. My beekeeping association suggested it was the smell of the chemo. By September I was considering giving up beekeeping but convinced myself it was the wasps. I have tended to them through the winter but do not know what to expect next month. Two of the colonies swarmed over the summer so I have unmarked queens. I am pretty useless at spotting queens. I don’t want to give up. I have 4 hives all with 3 supers because I couldn’t lift any weight and couldn’t manage the spinner. I would appreciate some advice.

Hi Spinney first I hope you are better.
The chemo shouldn’t be a problem now.

You need somebody to give you a hand. Where are you? Perhaps there is a forum member near you who could step up if you can’t find somebody from your local association?
I presume your queen excluders are in place still?

I'm a beginner but here's what I would do,others may not agree

1.sort yourself out with some better protection so your not stung silly trying to sort it

https://www.oldcastlefarmhives.com/product/sentinel-pro-ii-bee-suit/
2. see if you can open the hives after winter without being hammered to see if it was the chemo causing them to be angry .Also monitor aggression outside the hive before you open them.See if they attack on the approach.

3.if you cant ger any help and cant find the queens at all , cull the two aggressive hives then clean them out and do some maintenance.

4.Order a couple new queens of local gentle stock pre marked and take a few frames from other hives to re populate the culled hives.

I'f lifting weight is a problem you could try switching to top bar type hive ?

Hope you get better

Try your local association again there may be a complete beginner who you could buddy up with. I would suggest asking if a more experienced beek could give them a once over in spring to see how bad they really are.

I know that Covid restrictions can hamper things at the moment but I would definitely reach out to your association and appeal for help.
First priority is to remove queen excluders if there are any - ask someone to sort it ASAP, they can do that easily and maintain social distancing - if all the supers are full of stores I would just move the qx up above the one nearest the brood, if only some are full, move one over the brood box and put the others above the QX, relax for a while and then sort out a plan of action.
I would wait until spring is in full swing before making an appraisal of the colonies' temperament so you have plenty of time to take stock and decide a way forward.
Were the bees treated at all for varroa at the end of last season? If not, and there's loads of stores there, you could extract some of it for your own use.
Lots to think about and a bit of time before you have to do anything more than sort out the queen excluders.

Hi Spinney where exactly do you live in Kent? I'm in Greenwich if it's somewhere close to the A2 or M20 I might be able to pop around to give you a hand or some advice.
That's an offer I would grab with both hands @Spinney
Well done that man!

Thank you all very much. I feel overwhelmed by your kindness. Brightened my week, month even. It’s my own fault I didn’t have any help. I didn’t ask, everybody I know is shielding from this wretched virus. Unfortunately, I live on the East Sussex border. I hope to get local help towards the end of next month when more people have been vaccinated. I did take off the queen excluders. One hive per day using a stool, picnic table and spare boxes so that I could empty the supers before lifting them. Most of the frames of honey were still half unsealed, don’t know why, so put them back. It was the aggressive behaviour that upset me. I know bees have days when they are feistier than usual but this was shocking.
For varroa treatment I was recommended to use the strips with holes that fix over the entrance as the easiest way.
I am slowly and carefully getting stronger and have a clear CT scan so I have to be positive and, following your advice, work out a plan of action during the next few weeks. Thank you again.

Unfortunately, I live on the East Sussex border. I hope to get local help towards the end of next month when more people have been vaccinated.
I live on the West / East Sussex border so may not be far!

Unfortunately, I live on the East Sussex border.

There is nothing unfortunate about it at all.

You can probably work out where I am without too much of a battle.......

If anything is needed urgently, feel free to drop me a message

Back