Help in moving colony to a deep brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay in responding - had to help the wife. :)

The lenght/depth are the same but the hight is 12" intead of 9" which the standard comercial that Thornes supply

you must have ordered a national 14x12 brood box, £45 ish

it requires deeper frames , if you use your standard frames you will get a lot of brace comb, it will cause you a lot of hassel.

But if you like in spring you can just transfer the old frams and the bees and gradual change them over to 14x12 frames, but bees are bees and it can be diffuclt to get them to draw new comb right down to the bottom of the 14x12 frames

i would use it as a super next year with 14x12 foundation and frames to get the bees to fully biuld out new 14x12 frames either without aexcluded to allow the queen to move up or with an excluder then use them after extraction in july to inteleave them with your old frames in the new box to expand your bees onto 14x12 frames

Last edited:
Can I thank everyone who has posted on this thread. It has answered my questions and at the same time I learned a few other tips.

:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back