Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hiya all

I moved out to a more rural location a year ago and wanted to start keeping bees. I decided to get onto a course rather then just jumping in at the deep end, and after doing a one day course at Plumpton College I'm presently doing an introductory course with the High Weald Association. I've read my way through Ted Hooper's book, and about to get a copy of the Barefoot Beekeeper to get a slightly 'different' view of how to go about keeping bees.

Apart from the books and courses I've not invested any money in it yet, I figure I need to get stung atleast once before splashing out on lots of kit. I did have a flutter on a pair of WBCs on ebay but happily was outbid, as I'm more inclined to Commercials or TBHs.

Anyway, that's me!

Hiya all

I moved out to a more rural location a year ago and wanted to start keeping bees. I decided to get onto a course rather then just jumping in at the deep end, and after doing a one day course at Plumpton College I'm presently doing an introductory course with the High Weald Association. I've read my way through Ted Hooper's book, and about to get a copy of the Barefoot Beekeeper to get a slightly 'different' view of how to go about keeping bees.

Apart from the books and courses I've not invested any money in it yet, I figure I need to get stung atleast once before splashing out on lots of kit. I did have a flutter on a pair of WBCs on ebay but happily was outbid, as I'm more inclined to Commercials or TBHs.

Anyway, that's me!

:welcome:

Sussex baker eh? You could make a good profit selling bakers fondant on here!!!!
E

Welcome - you seem to have the order of things pretty well sorted - but - do try and get your hands into at least one hive of whatever format you fancy, BEFORE you splash the cash.
As I'm sure you are aware, two colonies is the minimum for self-sustainability (avoiding begging frames of bees/brood/whatever from 'trusted' friends). AND you need spare kit for swarm control (and then potentially recombining), I'd say a basic full hive and a nuc box that ALL take the same frames as your main colonies is the barest minimum for supporting two colonies.

.. I'd say a basic full hive and a nuc box that ALL take the same frames as your main colonies is the barest minimum spare kit for supporting two colonies.

Fixed that for myself!

Hi, you are very welcome to come to Brighton & Lewes out apiary meetings. April one not far from Plumpton. Usually quite a few new people there, lots of questions... even more answers!
PM me if you want more info.

Latest posts

Back