Hello from South Wales

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. After going to a series of local beekeeping classes I got my first hive in July. The colony is doing really well and the queen is laying very nicely. Good to join you here!

Hi all. After going to a series of local beekeeping classes I got my first hive in July. The colony is doing really well and the queen is laying very nicely. Good to join you here!

Hi and :welcome: to the forum
July is a great time to start a new colony, but, do you know how old the queen is? If she has a yellow mark on her back (thorax) she was born in 2017. That would be perfect. However, if she has a white mark, she was born in 2016, so is a bit older.

Yep - she's a new queen this year (yellow mark). She was a bit slow to start when I first got her but is doing really well.

July is a great time to start a new colony, but, do you know how old the queen is? If she has a yellow mark on her back (thorax) she was born in 2017. That would be perfect. However, if she has a white mark, she was born in 2016, so is a bit older.

As long as whoever marked her doesn't use white no matter what year it is because it's easier to see 😂

I have three 2017 Queens one is Yellow one is Blue and the other that i marked is White.. :D .
Welcome to the forum by the way.

I have three 2017 Queens one is Yellow one is Blue and the other that i marked is White.. :D .

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Snap. I have a blue, a white and a yellow, however mine are 2015/16/17.
Will be buying a new queen next year all being well so may have a set of 4 if the old girl survives winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Internationally recognised sequence is:

White = Years ending with 1 and 6
Yellow = Years ending with 2 and 7
Red = Years ending with 3 and 8
Green = Years ending with 4 and 9
Blue = Years ending with 5 and 0

If you remember the question: "Will You Raise Good Bees?", it will help you remember the sequence. The first letter of each word is the first letter of each colour

If you remember the question: "Will You Raise Good Bees?", it will help you remember the sequence.

Richard
Of
York
Gave
Battle
In
Vain
was the only one I remembered!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Beekeeping.

Lots of excellent help & discussions on here.

Eileen

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back