Hello from Cumbria

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma K

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Now retired I am finally in a position to keep bees.

A friend gave me a nucleus which was moved into a National last week.

Fingers crossed :) So far they seem to be doing ok and are very calm.

Last edited:
Hi Emma
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing your friend is also assisting in the learning process which is the best way, otherwise I recommend joining your local beekeeping association. Are you feeding your new colony? Autumn and Winter can come early in Cumbri (so I'm told) and they have a lot of work to do fill out the extra space in a national and put away enough stores. Best wishes to you and the bees. :)
Mark

Hi Emma
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing your friend is also assisting in the learning process which is the best way, otherwise I recommend joining your local beekeeping association. Are you feeding your new colony? Autumn and Winter can come early in Cumbri (so I'm told) and they have a lot of work to do fill out the extra space in a national and put away enough stores. Best wishes to you and the bees. :)
Mark

Thank you both for the welcome.

Yes, my friend is assisting me and I joined the local beekeepers association nearly three months ago. (I didn't know he kept bees until then as I met him nearly a year ago through another club!)

It tends to be mild and wet all year round here and this summer has been pretty dismal so far... so I am feeding.

We have a lot of himalayan balsalm here and when we moved the colony into the national I noted a lot of sealed brood cells and several cells being filled with pollen so remain hopeful.

My hives are on the Northumberland coast where the weather can also be dismal at times however they do fine once established and the only time i feed is at the back end of August, or earlier as i have had to do this year with a six frame nuc with a new Queen that was getting robbed.
Anyway welcome and enjoy.

Welcome Emma
Where in Cumbria? I used to live near Kendal. I was never lucky enough to have HB as all the offcomers morphed into Balsam Bashers as soon as they got a whiff of the countryside

I suspect there is a big market for local honey in the Lakes. Was in Keswick a few weeks ago, all the delis stocked was honey from near Carlisle and Scottish heather honey...Proper Lake district honey should be a real winner and help pay for all the expensive equipment you don't yet realise you will need :)
Enjoy.

Hi ericA,

I am on the Solway coast near Port Carlisle.

Thanks Beefriendly,

I am near a peat bog so more HB and heather than Lake District honey!

KR, Em

Latest posts

Back