Hello from Blackburn, Lancashire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodlamby

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello to all you beekeepers out there.
I have looked to start beekeeping by hopefully going about it the right way. I've read some books, so the theory is there but that can all fall to pieces when applied to the practical.
I have attended introductory lessons and will be visiting the East Lancs Association apiary this weekend for the first time. So I will be handling bees for the first time.
I have already bought the basic recommended equipment and have one hive which I have placed in my back garden. It's standing empty for now, waiting for some bees.
A lot of the information on this site is very informative.
Thanks for now and hopefully I will keep you posted on when the first colony arrives.

Last edited:
Hello to all you beekeepers out there.

:welcome: It sounds like you're off to a great start. If you can get yourself a good mentor locally, offer to help manage his/her bees as this is all good hands-on experience. You can only learn so much from books and having someone with you when you take those first steps can be a tremendous confidence booster

Hi Bodlamy.

Handling bees for the first time is quite an experience as is getting our first colony. It's at that point you'll no doubt forget everything you've learned!

If I've learned anything from my first full year of beekeeping it's that you can never have enough equipment. A spare hive or Nuc would be good.

Interested to hear how your first weekend went.

Hello Malx,
I've managed to visit the association apiary twice now. The first weekend was a non starter as far as opening the hives was concerned because they were dealing with a swarm from one of the hives.
The second weekend was really good. The experienced keeper opened the 4 hives in turn and pointed out what we were looking at/for. It was interesting to see how each hive reacted to the opening of the hive. The first colony was very quiet, small with very little movement into and out. He thought they could have been the previous weeks swarm remnants.
The next one was really feisty. They just didn't want us there. I found with that hive, not to worry too much when the buzzing is very close to your ear. (Don't panic).
The last two hives were the perfect temperament. They let us look closely without too much bother. Just about spotted eggs that were two days old. Very tiny.
When watching the bees at the entrance the colour variation of pollen is incredible. Yellow, cream and a very vibrant red. I believe the red is from Horse Chestnut. It's a beautiful sight to see this tiny insect carrying out all this work.

Hello, just found this thread whilst browsing. I'm from Blackburn too and in my first year beekeeping. Would be nice to chat and get some advice from you which will be relevant to this area.
Where do you keep your bees?

Hello, just found this thread whilst browsing. I'm from Blackburn too and in my first year beekeeping. Would be nice to chat and get some advice from you which will be relevant to this area.
Where do you keep your bees?
He's not dipped in since last April ... might try a PM - if he has it set up it may flag up on their email...

Latest posts

Back