Heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean.

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Afternoon,

When are you folks planning on taking your bees up / down or laterally to the heather this year?

Sean

I'm not planing moving them as one apiary has easy access to the heather being only a few hundred meters away. Heather here has not yet flowered but should be in the next week or two

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Never done it before so do not take my word for it, however from a heather honey presentation at our club meeting it was explained that the heather season is highly variable. It was suggested that going up, down or laterally to have a look at the heather was as good a method as any for knowing when to go.

If this was completely useless info that you already know then please feel free to disregard it :)

M

Managed grouse moors are usually the best heather sources but wise to go before the glorious 12th Aug as after that you risk "lead poisoning" from the shooters that fire at anything that moves.

Managed grouse moors are usually the best heather sources but wise to go before the glorious 12th Aug as after that you risk "lead poisoning" from the shooters that fire at anything that moves.

There's a few on here who should be ENCOURAGED to go on the Glorious 12th !:biggrinjester: more permanent than the ignore button ....

It's managed, but with sheep grazing it. Not sure about shooting. Will ask them next time.

Is this because there are younger shoots to produce honey the next year?

Sean

it is just starting to flower here and i have a few hives on it, they are bringing in plenty up there but none of it is from the heather.

Darren

Heavy flow on the bell heather here at the moment, been going on for the past couple of weeks, the ling is just starting to flower.

I saw a whole lorry load of hives on the M90 North last week so the big boys must be moving.

Up here the heather is open and the bees are just starting to show some interest. Sadly someone had a fire which went out of control last week and has burnt down at least 40 acres of Heather.

I'm just trying to get my timing right for when I move mine to north Wales. I'm guessing two weeks if Scotland is ready now. What do people think?

That's really bad. But the next few years would be better for heather I'm guessing once it's grown back.

Sean

I have just got back from checking a new heather site and it has a pink look to it. And notice some actually in flower.

Ah ok, you're closer by to me. That would give me a good time frame to work with. I'm thinking of moving mine a week on Sunday.

How long until it's in full bloom do you think?

Hi Nicky,

That would be great. I'm looking at moving them inland a bit more, as Bangor way would be a bit far for me.

But please do let me know how it's progressing with you.

I have had mine up for nearly two weeks now. Lots of stuff coming in but it isn't heather. Bumblebees and butterfly's on the heather. Bees on Briar and willowherb.

I've noticed it's all out kilta a bit. Bramble have started weeks early and yet still a while to go, same with the willow herb.

Latest posts

Back