Heather flow? How to tell?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I'm in my 1st productive year since moving locations (and a long break from bees). Recently extracted 50Kg and about half as much still on some hives.
However I now seem to be in a honey flow, lots of activity & hives humming like mad at night.
There is heather in the area though not sure enough close enough and everything I have extracted so far has flowed alright in the spinner.
Is there an easy way to tell if it's heather? Decap a bit and see if it flows?

I'm in my 1st productive year since moving locations (and a long break from bees). Recently extracted 50Kg and about half as much still on some hives.
However I now seem to be in a honey flow, lots of activity & hives humming like mad at night.
There is heather in the area though not sure enough close enough and everything I have extracted so far has flowed alright in the spinner.
Isn’t heather honey pink? And it has a definite aroma.

Isn’t heather honey pink? And it has a definite aroma.
in the comb it looks like any other honey although it does have this different sheen to it before the bees cap it. Definitely a different aroma - hard to describe.

Last edited:
Amber coloured in the comb. V distinctive smell but the give away is when the cell walls and cappings are v white

Walk amongst the heather and breath it in. If your hives smell the same as that, its heather honey. Plus the may be bringing in grey pollen.

Last edited:
Looks very heatherlike, shame this is not smelly vision

Some of mine looked just like that - and wasn't heather!
Looks smell taste , I’ve also had frames of summer honey with heather on the outside of frames also the other way around , interestingly some frames with spring summer and heather this season more than ever bloody demareed colonys

Latest posts

Back