Upper Entrances in the Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beecarer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
'Surplus secret: access holes with platforms

For years I’ve followed the exploits of Detective Anthony Planakis, aka Tony Bees, as he rescued swarms of honey bees from the streets of New York City. Now retired, Tony Bees tends his own hives, sells honey, teaches beginners, and tries to keep me in line.

Turns out, though, whenever Tony Bees talks, I listen. After all, how often do you get expertise distilled from 38 years of beekeeping and 20 years as NYPD’s one-man bee force?

So when he says queen excluders are not honey excluders, you can stake your life on it.

Last week after I mentioned queen excluders in a post, Tony Bees sent me a photo of his hives with queen excluders in place and honey supers stacked to the sky. His comment: 4 hives, 680 pounds of surplus honey. The secret: access holes with platforms.

He says, “If I want a surplus, I’m going to make it as easy and convenient as possible for the ladies because they are doing me a favor.” Plus there are no middle men, no searching for empty cells, no meandering around. “Convenience!” he reminds me.

“The holes are big enough to allow 2-3 bees in at a time but small enough to be guarded. Should congestion occur during a heavy flow, they simply enter from the super below, still closer than the brood chamber. That is why, without blinking an eye, those excluders are always used with this set up.”

He says he’s been using the system since the beginning. “I learned this back in 1971 when I got the daylights stung out of me in Greece. I remember the apiary well in Crete, not too far from my grandmother’s house. And I remember my father trying to explain everything to me as I was swelling up. Ah yes, fond memories!”

His other piece of advice is something I advocate as well: Leave the bees alone. “Newbees and sometimes seasoned beekeepers have a tendency to constantly ‘check’ their hives. Nothing wrong with that, but unless you suspect something is wrong, leave ‘em alone, period. I only check for progress (brood pattern, queen health, mites, beetles, wax moths) then super up! Now I live by this theory: ‘The more you take, the less they’ll make.’

“I’ll harvest once a season. Each super added is marked with date-time-bloom, so when I’m ready to harvest, I’ll know what’s what. Just like humans are productive without distraction, so is the honey bee industrious. After extraction, supers are placed back on their hives for cleaning, a week later, removed every other day, so five supers take 17 days to remove which brings me to goldenrod.” The goldenrod, he says, belongs to the bees.

After looking at these photos, I can’t wait to try this. Since comb honey is my thing, I’m going to apply Tony Bee’s Grecian formula to my supers: holes and platforms. (Is it just me, or do those platforms remind you of NYC fire escapes?) I see a secondary benefit for comb honey producers as well—fewer dirty pollen feet walking across the combs will help to keep them whiter.

Rusty'

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/surplus-secret-access-holes-with-platforms/

TonyBees-hive-with-platforms.jpg

Have many people on here had much success with adding extra entrances to the supers?

'Surplus secret: access holes with platforms

4 hives, 680 pounds of surplus honey. The secret: access holes with platforms.

I’ll harvest once a season.

I have used upper entrances 50 years. My system formed gradually so, that I use 3 langstroth brood boxes, no excluder and then 4-6 medium supers.

I use 2 upper entrance open in brood boxes, but not in supers. Hive is too cold if super entrances are open.

Perhaps one super entrance if supers are 6.

340 kg honey from 4 hives. To me that 85 kg is average yield.

But hives are not average, Some bring 40 kg and some 160 kg in same place.

But secret of good yields is in good pastures and in short distance to pastures.

How 85 kg is possible to extract once in season. It is, but it is not wise.

4 mediums can have capped honey 60 kg, Then in 3 brood boxes 25 kg, brood and pollen.

The hive is absolutely full, and that hive could pick another 85 kg, but there is not a sigle cell where to put nectar.

When one box is full capped honey, it needs 2 more boxes, where nectar is stored and rippened.

I use to move my hives on outer pastures. It has 3 langstroth boxes for brood and 4 medium boxes for honey. Soon I add 2 foundation boxes over brood boxes, or one box langstroth foundations. What ever.

When hive has 2 capped honey boxes, it is time to extract them and return over brood. Capped honey upp and nectar combs down. It is natural order.

In good summers I extract 3 times and in poor summer one time.

If hive is too full, it stops foraging and a big cluster hangs on outer wall.

It makes alot of sense when you think about it, just is strange as our local association apiary which is very progressive would have some colony's with 6-8 supers on them and they always only have the one entrance as usual at the bottom.

Ill definitely give this a try this year and see how it works out, would you have noticed a big increase in yield when comparing to having just the usual one entrance?

Of course need of ventilation depends on weather and on flow.
You need of ventilation from ventilating bees on entrance. Is the out temp 20C or 35C. Big difference.

Good pastures depends on amount of flowers and on hives, how much are bees harvesting on square metre. And many other things.

My rule is that if one hive use to harvest alone 60 kg honey from one place, it is not a good place. I cannot put there another hive. It means that there are no more nectar on area. One hive can pick all.

I have used upper entrances 50 years. My system formed gradually so, that I use 3 langstroth brood boxes, no excluder and then 4-6 medium supers.

I use 2 upper entrance open in brood boxes, but not in supers. Hive is too cold if super entrances are open.

Perhaps one super entrance if supers are 6.

340 kg honey from 4 hives. To me that 85 kg is average yield.

But hives are not average, Some bring 40 kg and some 160 kg in same place.

But secret of good yields is in good pastures and in short distance to pastures.

How 85 kg is possible to extract once in season. It is, but it is not wise.

4 mediums can have capped honey 60 kg, Then in 3 brood boxes 25 kg, brood and pollen.

The hive is absolutely full, and that hive could pick another 85 kg, but there is not a sigle cell where to put nectar.

When one box is full capped honey, it needs 2 more boxes, where nectar is stored and rippened.

I use to move my hives on outer pastures. It has 3 langstroth boxes for brood and 4 medium boxes for honey. Soon I add 2 foundation boxes over brood boxes, or one box langstroth foundations. What ever.

When hive has 2 capped honey boxes, it is time to extract them and return over brood. Capped honey upp and nectar combs down. It is natural order.

In good summers I extract 3 times and in poor summer one time.

If hive is too full, it stops foraging and a big cluster hangs on outer wall.

Thanks for that advice, you're right there too many entrances and the hive would get cold.

'But secret of good yields is in good pastures and in short distance to pastures.' ------ Thats the truth, plus lots of sunshine anytime we get a bumper crop of honey here the sun is always splitting the stones without the sunshine all life on this planet will not flourish and thrive.

Thanks for that advice, you're right there too many entrances and the hive would get cold.

'But secret of good yields is in good pastures and in short distance to pastures.' ------ Thats the truth, plus lots of sunshine anytime we get a bumper crop of honey here the sun is always splitting the stones without the sunshine all life on this planet will not flourish and thrive.

Not to mention, that good yields depend on, where the beekeepers drops the hives. No one else put them there.

That is difficult issue. You may read but it never win experience.

Without planet and sunhine. ... And Toyota that I can drive hives to pastures

Last edited:
They definitely use those upper entrances very soon after they are put between the supers.

An upper entrance in winter

http://honeybeesuite.com/an-upper-entrance-in-winter

Keep honey bees dry and draft free

http://honeybeesuite.com/tag/upper-entrances/

The plus side of that is they would be used to having an upper entrance so when you put the supers with upper entrances it would be natural for them to use an upper entrance.

Surplus secret: access holes with platforms

http://honeybeesuite.com/surplus-secret-access-holes-with-platforms/

Latest posts

Back