Heat Bees And Boxes at Worthing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Elaine and I are doing a talk at Worthing BKA on "Heat Bees and Boxes". on Feb 13th

I have some new results comparing the thermal performance of different types of hive and a more extensive set of tree models. So far I've tested over 12 types of hive in over 80 test runs ...and there are some surprises.

Elaine will be covering some of the research we have found describing the effects of temperature and humidity on Bees.

Derek

Hope you're going to let us know each time you talk in the South of England...wouldn't want to miss a local one.

itchy,
read this newsletter for a review of the talk..

google "bournemouth beekeepers newsletter" and read the october edition

Rab and i dont see eye to eye... and he's never been to one of my talks

Good write up

I've got a great shot of bees desperately trying to get heat out of an uninsulated hive in full sun. I'll dig it out if you like

I don't think I need to. I was insulating my hives long before you joined the forum. And, no, I would still use screws and not nails (for other, far more important, reasons than the tiny difference in heat loss between the two fixings).

Practical common sense is good enough for keeping bees. KISS principle and all that. Beekeeping has far more to it than the intricacies of different insulators, but it is all basically simple.

Good write up

I've got a great shot of bees desperately trying to get heat out of an uninsulated hive in full sun. I'll dig it out if you like

that would be fine...
this year we will be at Portchester on March 7th and in september at Devizes wiltshire and Lyndhurst Hampshire.

Here you go

the gap pointing roughly 11 o'clock is filled with bees trying to fan hot air out of the entrance (at the bottom) The flat roof (car port) was untouchably hot. Honey was dribbling out of the underside of this structure.

I found it interesting.......

Back