Hawthorn Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poot

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Five
I expect many will be at the point of extracting hawthorn (with dandelion) honey - possibly for the first time. Are there any tips specific to this honey mix that will make the delightful process easier - and most effective? Is it particularly gloopy?

I expect many will be at the point of extracting hawthorn (with dandelion) honey - possibly for the first time. Are there any tips specific to this honey mix that will make the delightful process easier - and most effective? Is it particularly gloopy?
It's gorgeous honey, no special requirements.

It's gorgeous honey, no special requirements.
Thanks Steve, that’s very reassuring 👍
Jars arriving today, so good to go if sealed on inspection tomorrow.

I’m as careful as I can be to separate the capped dandelion if possible

My dandelion has yellow cappings
And it has a distinct ping.
I’ve not thought of cappings colour, thanks, that might be a good steer.
For ping do you mean pong? 😂

Temperatures five to six degrees warmer than average there lately must have helped?
I'd be interested to see it in a bottled jar if you can be bothered posting (a photo...not the actual jar) :)

Temperatures five to six degrees warmer than average there lately must have helped?
I'd be interested to see it in a bottled jar if you can be bothered posting (a photo...not the actual jar) :)
I’ll try to remember to post a photo @Antipodes but I’m not sure the honey‘s capped until I inspect and I’ve been delaying, as they are (I hope) in the process of raising new queens.

Finally got round to extracting and bottling - despite not being sealed.
So, here you go @Antipodes 🤗1A9C4BF7-C7B9-4997-8BB3-6C3EE3E8A0F9.jpeg

Looks too dark for hawthorn; mine looks lemon, like OSR, but in London.
Mines like this no osr near the highest apiary’s but dandelions and Hawthorne the odd crab apple .IMG_0321.jpeg

Back