Having a try

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But ... if they have dwindled as you state ... then there is a problem - and they superceded so they knew there was a problem last season ... so all you are doing is supporting a weak colony basically on the premise of sentiment and at the expense of a better colony. Regardless of your motives it's just not good beekeeping ... and you are proliferating bees that are possibly not survivor stock .. they are not the ones you want.

But ... if they have dwindled as you state ... then there is a problem - and they superceded so they knew there was a problem last season ... so all you are doing is supporting a weak colony basically on the premise of sentiment and at the expense of a better colony. Regardless of your motives it's just not good beekeeping ... and you are proliferating bees that are possibly not survivor stock .. they are not the ones you want.

Ah...but the old queen was old so that was the reason for the superceedure. There was no sign of sickness or disease and they had survived without swarming....so not such bad stock. It's possible that they would have increased slowly as the numbers increased from the bees emerging from the comb. It seemed a way of boosting them ...and yes I will admit to the sentimental reasons.
I'm glad to say that all seems well today. The nuc is busy with flying bees and the donor colony also has lots of bees going in and out with pollen etc.
I was prepared for critism and I am more than willing to listen. I am aware of the risk to the donor colony but if this works I will be thrilled and if not then lessons learnt. Next weeks inspection will tell the story...I am sure.

Just in case of confusion...she came to me in a mature colony on 14x12 frames. She was marked red.....so 2013. Had she survived into this years season she would have been 4 years old. Anyway...he daughter is there...and a beautiful queen too...with lovely brown spidery legs. I would love to see an extended brooding area on the next inspection...fingers crossed.

Shame on you gentlemen asking not a lady, but a QUEEN for her age! Whilst most peeps in the work place are seen as passed it at 50 a bee queen is today seen as passed it at 2.
I am with the Scientific Beekeeper I don't believe in anything until I have tried it out for myself. Best of luck Tremyfro and thank you for bringing some excitement to the forum. I shall watch this page.

Shame on you gentlemen asking not a lady, but a QUEEN for her age! Whilst most peeps in the work place are seen as passed it at 50 a bee queen is today seen as passed it at 2.
I am with the Scientific Beekeeper I don't believe in anything until I have tried it out for myself. Best of luck Tremyfro and thank you for bringing some excitement to the forum. I shall watch this page.

That is so kind. I am observing what is happening...I wish I had a camera in both hives. I guess most experienced beekeepers...who have developed a more business attitude towards their bees...would have requeened last year but I'm afraid that I wanted to see how long she could live. They made up their own mind...indeed as it should be. However, I did realise that it was unlikely that she would survive into the spring alongside a daughter...so I have ordered a new carniolan queen to take over...should it be necessary. Otherwise, the new carniolan queen will head up a new nuc...bringing a colony with a new character into my Bee Yard.

I'm resurrecting this thread to tell you about the results so far of my hive swap.
We had to wait for good weather...or rather better weather...ha ha to do an inspection of both hives.
The langstroth nuc had been reduced to one nuc box. Both colonies were given pollen patties.
The initial reaction after being moved was a few bees coming to the entrance and taking a look...a sort of 'is that my hive' look. Their attempts for entry were challenged but as they were bringing in nectar and pollen they were allowed entry. Soon the front of the hive was abuzz with returning bees and orienting bees.
On inspection today....it was sunny and only a light but cool breeze...we found lots of bees. Good pollen stores...2 1/2 frames of stores. The patches of original brood were beginning to emerge. The added frame of brood showed some emergence too. There were greatly extended areas of brood and a new frame of brood had been laid up. We saw the queen and marked her blue. So the queen is laying more vigorously now she has more bees to keep the brood warm.
May need to move the stores next inspection.
Initially, the donating colony fought the returning nuc bees....it didn't go on for long though as I think there weren't so many returners. There was a lot of reorienting for several days.
On inspection of the donating colony...lots of bees. The brood frames were the same in number but many bees had emerged and the queen had laid the empty cells. So the colony hadn't grown but has maintained...what I expected and hoped for. So a small knock back for this colony.
Personally, I am pleased with the outcome...the nuc so far is saved and the donating colony will soon be increasing strength again.
I think I would do this again...if the circumstances called for it.
The gene pool from my original queen..although diluted a bit will continue in her daughter and I think the colony is saved ...for now.
All I need to do now is thank Poly Hive for his suggestion and support.
Thank you PH.

Latest posts

Back