Have you ever seen worker bees moving eggs around?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwenavirre

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I caught this on video yesterday. I have an excluder in place, not sure why eggs were being transported to where the honey super are...

I opened up the hive today, the honey supers seem to be fine. Honey seems to be in the middle. The capping is uneven so we'll see what happens there. Hopefully it was sugar crystals being moved about? *shrug* The brood box was BRIMMING with bees so I gave them another box with empty frames to keep them busy for a bit.

I could see a bee carrying something white in your video. If it was an egg it would be too small to see. Could it be white pollen?
With the brood box getting full they may be looking for space to put more pollen. I'd believe they were eggs if you could lift out the FlowHive cassette and photograph eggs and larvae in the cells. Is that even possible with a FlowHive?

I could see a bee carrying something white in your video. If it was an egg it would be too small to see. Could it be white pollen?
With the brood box getting full they may be looking for space to put more pollen. I'd believe they were eggs if you could lift out the FlowHive cassette and photograph eggs and larvae in the cells. Is that even possible with a FlowHive?
Yes, it's not an egg. It could also be trash.

The workers lay them. Every hive has laying workers. Usually the house bees eat them.

I like this explanation. Would explain why sometimes you get drone cells just above the excluder.

In similar vein, I recently went through a hive knocking out all but one EQC. Nearly chose one on a frame of mostly drone brood until I thought why would a fertilised egg be there. Could it be an egg from a laying worker or had it been moved there?
Ended up choosing a QC on the edge of an area of worker brood near some pollen.

Latest posts

Back