Has this happened to you

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A guy who I know and often see him at the stables where I keep my bees has been asking me for a jar of honey for months so today I stopped my van and gave him a jar, " thank you that looks really good" he said and walked away without paying me ! I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and it really made me laugh and what's one jar of honey between friendly people

It would seem that he never said he wanted to buy one tho..

No but it's my first year and no honey extracted :laughing-smiley-004 but I do have plenty of family and friends asking when can they have a jar.:hairpull:

I have always said if they want any it would be at whole sale price. trhe only people I have done it for free is pupils at school as I want them to try good food at every opportunity.

The funny thing is their parents then ask to buy some.

No but it's my first year and no honey extracted :laughing-smiley-004 but I do have plenty of family and friends asking when can they have a jar.:hairpull:

Tell them you sold it all, and have a waiting list..

They get the general idea then............

The guy does a lot of gardening work around the stables and paths and he has agreed to leave the HB from the blades of his tools so not all is lost

A guy who I know and often see him at the stables where I keep my bees has been asking me for a jar of honey for months so today I stopped my van and gave him a jar, " thank you that looks really good" he said and walked away without paying me ! I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and it really made me laugh and what's one jar of honey between friendly people
£5.00 and a lot of your time and effort

Good for you Redwood. A jar of honey as a gift generates a lot of goodwill. My neighbours get a jar or two to compensate for the bee poo on their cars and windows. The staff at the shop where I sell some get a jar each for their trouble and my family are kept supplied, as they have to listen to endless beekeeping stories.

50,000 bee miles in every jar puts my time and effort into perspective.

Last edited:
Good for you Redwood. A jar of honey as a gift generates a lot of goodwill. My neighbours get a jar or two to compensate for the bee poo on their cars and windows. The staff at the shop where I sell some get a jar each for their trouble and my family are kept supplied, as they have to listen to endless beekeeping stories.

50,000 bee miles in every jar puts my time and effort into perspective.

Thats why I give some of mine to the neighbours I get on with...Even the bloke who has stopped as he drove past and come to the house to tell me that I have left my lights on............... and my window open.

It's about time I gave him another jar and asked for a go in his Skoobydo.

I give free honey for services rendered..

Give a few jars to my Mum and Dad as the bees are on their land.

One of my sister in laws keeps asking me for jars of honey not just for herself but also for her to give to her sister and her parents. This is expected to be given to her for free. I have told her I'm SELLING it, but she doesn't want to get it, so she's not getting it. She also EXPECTS a lot of other things for free. She's told me she expects me to provide her with free child care (not reciprocated) so she can work, take holidays (doesn't take my nephew with them), and have a social life as though she's not a parent. Free extension and building works to her house, because I have a building company (i work and look after my 4 children) I just steer clear of her now. You can choose your friends........but you can't choose your family.

Yep, getting pretty sick of people asking me for free honey and I don't even have a colony yet! They'll be lucky! Even though I am the beekeeper, school only gave me a 1/2 lb jar of honey from the crop. If I wanted any more, I had to buy it myself.

My wife has a very large family and she had the habit of giving them all free bottles of honey - that was 20 years ago as I made her help me take off supers then. She's petite, I strapped a blower onto her back and she had to carry it around for hours, whilst we removed 120 supers full of honey. She has never forgotten the experience and stopped giving honey to her relatives.

My wife said she is going to make a few hampers with lots of home made goods to give to old people for Christmas........... I'v just hidden my honey :hairpull:

i make up a few 4oz jars for exactly that situation, if they offer to pay, I say "no, buy some from me next time it is £5 for a 12oz Jar and if they don't offer to pay i say, "if you want some more i sell it at £6 per 12oz jar~~~

and i always maintain that £1 differential price until i have recupted the cost of the 4 oz jar free jar ,then I say "as you have bought lots have thenext one at a fiver

Last edited:
Back