Has anyone on here purchased one of these BS National poly hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right about roofs yes.

I am so used to the bits to avoid I don't even think of them.

Say I was using timber sups on top of poly, I use a timber roof.

Same with Lang, or tother way round.

Simple.

I am possibly more used to mix and match than most. At one time I had a mixed collection that I will not bore you with as you probably wouldn't believe it. 8 types in all.

However I do think you are looking for excuses to avoid facing the reality that poly is better.

As for a standard. LOL It's been on the go for thirty years.

As ever buyer beware.

PH

can i put a wooden roof on poly super and vicez a versa

Not sure about vice versa, as I don't have a poly roof. However, a wooden roof does fit properly on top of the poly National supers from C. Wynne Jones (I believe, I bought these from White Park Cattle). These have no interlocks on the joining faces. The external dimensions are exactly 18 inches square (as you would expect), with the wall thickness being 40mm.

--
fatshark

Last edited:
You are right about roofs yes.

I am so used to the bits to avoid I don't even think of them.

Say I was using timber sups on top of poly, I use a timber roof.

Same with Lang, or tother way round.

Simple.

I am possibly more used to mix and match than most. At one time I had a mixed collection that I will not bore you with as you probably wouldn't believe it. 8 types in all.

However I do think you are looking for excuses to avoid facing the reality that poly is better.

As for a standard. LOL It's been on the go for thirty years.

As ever buyer beware.

PH

Not kooking for excuses here I have seen the light I am a convert partly due to your teaching on this forum as I have recently purchased 10 poly langstroths just trying to point out that parts are not fully interchangeable with wooden parts but with this product not 100% sure which are and which arent that's why I recommend looking into it more closely Regards Andrew

Not sure about vice versa, as I don't have a poly roof. However, a wooden roof does fit properly on top of the poly National supers from C. Wynne Jones (I believe, I bought these from White Park Cattle). These have no interlocks on the joining faces. The external dimensions are exactly 18 inches square (as you would expect), with the wall thickness being 40mm.

--
fatshark

i think you have made my point, as on those C Wynne Jones poly you have they differ from the other polys which have internal dimension the same as BS standard 424mmx 372mm whereas yours would be 380x372mm internal as the externals are the same as a BS national not internals

i stick with poly nuc only and let my bees freeze until a standard develops, too many variables

In your case MM the simple answer is to buy four broods, and floors from the same supplier, winter using an empty super to cover the fondant and use a Nat roof.

Sorted.

MM

whilst our nordic and teutonic friends may well be almost entirely poly based our latin colleagues are still firmly entrenched in wood (pine).

and at 40-45 euro for flatpack dadant who can blame them (especially if EU funds the purchase!!!!).

I know this may seem a daft question but do wood peckers still have a go at poly?

Warmth and R values etc . . .

The real difference between cedar and poly is, I think, when the rain starts coming down: wet cedar is fairly rubbish (and far less insulating than a tree, which is what the bees are evolved against) where as wet poly is more or less the same as dry poly - very warm.

So if you live somewhere where it rains a lot, there will be a huge difference. If you live somewhere where it gets really cold, there's a big difference. If it's dry and not very cold, it's probably the same.

There are poly hives made up of sides, slotted together, which can be weak if not glued together well. Swienty (and maybe others) are formed as one piece and very strong.

The only downside (I can think of) is that you can't make poly hives from trees and return them to dirt when you're done.

HTH

FG

Latest posts

Back