Hardened rape honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
At what temperature will it revert back to liquid?

Thanks, I just wanted to check if it reverted in the hive so the bees can use it.

The bees will gather water to dissolve the granulated sugars,

Sorry to say but in my experience once it goes hard in the comb the bees wash their hands of it. They can be persuaded to move it but it takes serious hive tool work to do.

PH

I use 39-40 degrees C over 24 hours, I never go higher.
That is what i did with the last bit i had left i used a poly hatch egg incubator set at 39C for 24 hours, it did not go as runny as it was too start with but i was able to get it out of the jars, i put a jar of it in the food blender for 5minutes and then added it to a couple of other jars as a seed, it is still soft set and easy to use.

Sorry to say but in my experience once it goes hard in the comb the bees wash their hands of it. They can be persuaded to move it but it takes serious hive tool work to do.

PH

I find if you spray the combs with warm water and place them beneath the brood box of a recently transferred nuc they quickly clean up and make use of it. The empty super can then be placed above for a flow.

LOL and so is the wax. Been there would never do that again.

No, only the honey - the wax has been separated for a while. In fact, I didn't know there was OSR in the mix since the nearest fields were a couple of miles away, but the rapid solidifying gave the game away. It's now mixed with a seed and, hopefully, will become soft set.

Back