Happykeeper Floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The principal seems sound :), ( watch the antics of the contestants on similar tubes and listen Stewart halls' laughter)
Some of the mesh used in open mesh floors is quite angular , especially the expanded metal variety.
I wouldn't dismiss tubular floors out of hand :), perhaps a little research into tube diameters to establish the optimum size would be in order ?

John

Having got a fair bit of this polythene tubing here at the moment, I'd say it would be a fair while before ANYTHING sticks to it if it does at all!!, it would also be very easy to clean in boiling water as the tubes are removeable. I'm still going to look into them but maybe make one of my own to see if it makes any difference. I like the theory behind them, but again difficult to judge how much is hype. But judging by the reports of the good people on here, they aren't the Holy grail they make it out to be.

heres a link to a bit more info on them

http://www.apiservices.com/happykeeper/index_us.htm

regards

Roy

. I like the theory behind them, but again difficult to judge how much is hype. But judging by the reports of the good people

It has been researched many times like mesh floor that they do not prevent varroa disasters.But lets hope that one day varroa just drop down from the back of bee!

We may pray together for it!

, I'd say it would be a fair while before ANYTHING sticks to it if it does at all!!,

But you are viewing from human eyes!

What we perceive as very smooth, is as rough as a boulder clif to a varroa.

Hence why is it a fly can grip to glass?

But then you get into the realms of is glass a liquid a solid (well of course it is a liquid!) it is just what view point and time frame you use!:cheers2:

hehe well lets see we have the hedgecoe hive, the rose hive, the happy beekeeper floor, must be about time to introduce the David Entrance block to the world.
This simple device hooks up to the local mains and using the latest scanning technology automatically scans every bee as it enters or leaves the hive. Any that are detected to have varroa are automatically zapped with 10,000 volts. For a small consideration you can also purchase the optional Queen Detection Unit which will automatically close the entrance if the queen is seen preparing to leave, also alerting you with a 400 decibel claxon.

In short why oh why do people insist on reinventing the wheel.

My very first bee course we were advised en mass that the last thing beekeeping needed is another hive. That advice is as sound as ever and dear hedgecoe would have been well advised to pay more heed.

PH

Because we all remember being told about "the cats eye man" 1/2 pence for every eye, 2 pence for every lump in the road etc.... most kids thought on hearing that, they could be the next cat's eye man.... some of them obviously still think they can be. :)

Funny you should mention that, at our local BKA meeting this week one of the speakers showed pictures and is interested in bringing a few of those hives into the country, he has seen them working for himself, he says the beekeepers using them are convinced they do seem to work in eliminating varroa!!!...time will see I guess.

I think everyone needs to be wary of moneymaking fads, and while agreed there are a hell of a lot of gimicks and gadgets that are just designed to increase the speed that someone gullable enough parts with thier cash. There are also some pieces of equipment that come along once in a while that do improve things, or make life a bit easier.

I can't personally see myself coughing up ?32 for this floor, but wouldn't mind trying out the idea :)

Out of curiousity, I use Hypoaspis mites to control any mite outbreaks I have in tropical cockroach cultures I keep (dont ask!:)) and while these are predominantly ground dwelling mites they dont seem to be able to stay on the polythene tubing at all, so I might see if I can explore the idea a bit further.....if for no other reason than satisfying curiousity.

LOL...Oh and I know what you mean about surfaces of objects being decieving to our eyes James, I spent a good while at uni peering down microscopes (might be interesting to get a few photos of the surface of these tubes!)...theres an idea!.....I really do need to get out more and get a proper life methinks!

The "round drum" thing looked like quite a big bit of kit. It would also need to be quite close to a power source wouldn't it?
Anyway, if you find out more about them, keep us posted Roy. :)

As far as I could make out and going on the answers given by the speaker, the rotating brood section is just under the height of two national brood boxes. The power source is a 12v car battery which lasts a good few weeks, or transformer. Although that isnt a problem in the apiaries that these are kept in as they are mainly kept in rows inside a bee house.
The brood rotates one complete revolution every 24 hours, so it isnt doing an impression of a spin dryer with the varroa being flung off by centripetal force! :)

If I can find any more info out or he imports any I'll post details if anyones interested.

The very fact that the Happy Beekeeper Floor is a French product speaks for itself!
Best regards
Norton.

Latest posts

Back