Happykeeper Floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy S

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Has anyone tried the Happykeeper national floors that Thornes are selling?...any views on them? I'm thinking of getting a couple and would like to know if anyone else has tried them and what they think of them.

thanks

Roy

Evening Roy, Is that the floors that have the white tubes in them ?

If so , they were a French invention I think ?
John

Yep, they're the ones. I've read some good reports about them but was wondering how much of it was manufacturers "hype" sort of thing?

I may be wrong but they look like a gimmick to me,whats wrong with a good OMF ?

From what I've read and from using the tubing that they are using in the floors for other things (mainly filter systems), the tubing is very slippy. Any varroa landing on any part of the tube will slip off and out of the hive and is prevented from climbing back into the hive. Even a conventional mesh floor is quite easy for a live varroa to grip unless it falls straight through one of the holes. I'm quite open minded about it, but I suppose the only way to find out if it works like they say is to get one eh?

I have heard that it is humbug. It does not work so as it is told.

Last edited:
Hi

I think the answer is in the name Happy KEEPER;)

Roy?

If it's too good to be true it is.

Ask your local bee farmer if he is using them, if not forget it.

PH

Roy?

If it's too good to be true it is.

PH

Thats a very good idea PH that I will try more often.

If the commercial guys say no then the answer is no.

As Finman would say beefarmers are not "Vain".

Roy, you may have read on some posts that Finman talks about "Vain" space in beekeeping,its a translation joke we share.

As Finman would say beefarmers are not "Vain".

Roy, you may have read on some posts that Finman talks about "Vain" space in beekeeping,its a translation joke we share.

Hehe hehe heh . What I laught about your is your national special weather .

Yes I look what is vain: Synonyms: bootless, conceited, egotistic, egotistical, fruitless, futile, proud, self-conceited, sleeveless, swollen, swollen-headed, unproductive .

I thought that it is same as "unnecessary".

But he will laugh last who has strongest medication - heheh heh.

AH yes our special british weather,we have weather that not another country in the world gets,special rain and snow,even special sunshine not like yours.

PH

I think these are just another trendy new fad to add confusion to the system for new keepers who have bigger bank balances.

And also an attempt for someone to try an leave there name on beekeeping like the "new" rose hives.

Yes, we've had them in France for a while now. The idea is that the tubes are under the frames so the mites fall through the gaps. So you have to make sure the floor is adapted to your frame system. They are more expensive than mesh floors . I've tried one. Won't buy another.

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I wont be bothering with them then LOL I might take a sneaky look at one at Stoneleigh....more for curiousity than anything else, and see if I can make one myself to check out :)... but as everyone said...if it worked that well, everyone would be using them!!!. I suppose thats why I asked the question in the first place really, as has already been said "if it seems to good to be true, it is!"

And as for special weather......yep...the weathers pretty special round here today!!! hehehe

thanks again peeps

Roy

Last edited:
I wonder how long the floors stay clean and slippery? Once the tubes are covered in propolis, wax, and general detritus the varroa will be dancing around like usual won't they?

The principal seems sound :), ( watch the antics of the contestants on similar tubes and listen Stewart halls' laughter)
Some of the mesh used in open mesh floors is quite angular , especially the expanded metal variety.
I wouldn't dismiss tubular floors out of hand :), perhaps a little research into tube diameters to establish the optimum size would be in order ?

John

I wonder how many other countries have microclimates as we do in the UK.

Just a thought.

PH

Latest posts

Back