Ham Radio and Bee Keepers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing, do you still have to say "over"

Yes some technical terms such as OVER are used by some. Over as in over to you, not as in it’s over and I’m out of here.

But you mustn’t say it unless you’re licensed. :nono:

So how much would a nice little kit like in the photo cost me and what is the range of it

Radio to radio would depend on the other station but not far may be 5 to 10 miles further if the other was a base station. If into a repeater 25-40. With an HF radio you could talk around the globe with the right antenna. Plus bounce signal off the moon or send TV pics. You can use satellite. Or d star which is digital. Oh for the set in the pic £390

Hi Peter....
I have a sneaky feeling that I am in 'I got myself a convoy territory' and yes that is a question. ;) Can I have a load down. Sounds like fun. Could we become storm chasers when there aren't any swarms about?

Storm chasers? You mean Swarm chaser? *chortle*

I see we have a Google custom search option now does it do translate ?

My father is G4BXP, but inactive for a long time.

Got his first hive/bees in exchange for a bit of amateur radio kit, after listening in to a discussion of beekeeping circa 1970.

Yes some technical terms such as OVER are used by some. Over as in over to you, not as in it’s over and I’m out of here.

But you mustn’t say it unless you’re licensed. :nono:

Does a GMDSS international general operator's certificate count?

But never say over and out - only total clowns on the movies say that :D .

But never say over and out - only total clowns on the movies say that :D .

Roger. Do we have clearance? Over.

airplane_roger_over_small.jpg

:sos:

Blimey, I can see emails becoming obsolete at this rate!

Thanks to all for replying to my post, Having a GMDSS certificate Doesn’t qualify you to operate on the Ham Bands, you have to pass the “RAE” ( Radio Amateurs Examination ), and then you will be issued with a Call sign from OFCOM, it has been mentioned in a Post correctly that the CW ie Morse test is no longer a Requirement , and Radio equipment is easily borough second hand at a fraction of the price of new VHF UHF and HF. For the Ham Operators who are still Active , I am going to set a Net up on the 40 m band depending on interest on 7.120 or as near as possible on Sundays at 10.30 am, I Will be calling CQ for joiners. Any other INFO just ask de Peter G6ZFX/G0CSK

I'll be there if Lynch and son get my radio to me before then

Hi all there is a free trial virtual ham radio that looked good at http://www.hamsphere.com/
its 30 euros after the trial per year, you get your own call sign or maybe you can register your own ?
Did not get that involved at the time of looking.
Was on ssb on a Superstar 360 with switchable roger bleep and the missing 5 kc frquenies on a switch as well,
73,s
AL22
gone

you have to pass the “RAE” ( Radio Amateurs Examination ), and then you will be issued with a Call sign from OFCOM

Ha!! There should be lessons for Skype. Every time my husband talks to his grandchildren he hollers at the screen as if they were in Australia.

Hi all there is a free trial virtual ham radio that looked good at http://www.hamsphere.com/
its 30 euros after the trial per year, you get your own call sign or maybe you can register your own ?
Did not get that involved at the time of looking.
Was on ssb on a Superstar 360 with switchable roger bleep and the missing 5 kc frquenies on a switch as well,
73,s
AL22
gone
There is also cq100 .
VM

For information on the licences see: http://www.rsgb.org/arls/
I completed my Intermediate a few weeks ago, taking the full licence exam in May.

A handheld operating on 2m and 70cm, such as the Baofeng UV-5R is a cheap (<£50) and easy way to get started. If you can reach repeaters (I can see four from Bristol) a little handheld lets you operate many 10s of km.

I thought mobile phones killed ham, surprised to see people still using it, can you get a condensed set the size of a mobile ?

Not quite, but you can effectively get DC to light (I exaggerate of course) from an Icom IC7000, which is about the size of a sandwich box.

Mobile phones are good until the system goes down. You can get 6m, 2m and 70cm FM in a unit the size of a mobile phone - slightly larger battery however.

73 DE G0PAi

The clever guys say di dah di dah dit.

Foundation Licence, general consensus is that you would have to study hard to fail it.
Maritime mobile only permitted for Full Licence holders. The rest have to keep radio silence beyond the official low water mark on current Admiralty/Hydrographic charts. So, jenkinsbrynmair, you will be good with your hand held off the sea wall at Blackpool, but don't stray out too far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back