Hallo from Lincoln

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twistytrees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hallo everyone I’m completely new to beekeeping. My husband dabbled but wasps invaded both hives and that was the end of that. Anyway one hive was still in the garden looking pretty but with no residents until last week when I saw a random swarm of honey bees moving in. They’re still there so I thought I’d learn to look after it. I also keep chickens and have two cats but my passion is gardening so beekeeping should complement that well.

I’d tell you about the hive but I‘m such a novice I don’t know how to describe it other than it looks like typical traditional one. Hubby says it needs reducing in height but I’ve asked him to wait and leave it in case he upsets the new residents before I learn a bit.

Nice when they find you ;)
When did they turn up? If very recent, let them settle in first but it sounds like he is right and possibly a stack of boxes rather than something more adequate to colony size.
You will need to treat them against varroa and consider feeding as we head towards winter so an inspection or a couple before then to assess their health and viability would be advisable.
Welcome to the forum, the answer to any problem you may encounter ;)

Hallo everyone I’m completely new to beekeeping. My husband dabbled but wasps invaded both hives and that was the end of that. Anyway one hive was still in the garden looking pretty but with no residents until last week when I saw a random swarm of honey bees moving in. They’re still there so I thought I’d learn to look after it. I also keep chickens and have two cats but my passion is gardening so beekeeping should complement that well.

I’d tell you about the hive but I‘m such a novice I don’t know how to describe it other than it looks like typical traditional one. Hubby says it needs reducing in height but I’ve asked him to wait and leave it in case he upsets the new residents before I learn a bit.
Hi twistytrees and welcome to this great forum.
You could have a look in soon. What you find will depend on what was left in the boxes. Likely the bees will be in the top one anyway.
Send us a photo of where they are and what they look like on the frames. ( if there are no frames then get in there tomorrow or they will build comb all over the place)
Post your questions in the beginners section and good luck with them. Xx

Hi thank you, they’ve been there just 5 days so will wait a few more then have a look. I’ll will definitely be visiting the beginners section with lots of questions!

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy and good luck with your bees. What do you plant in your garden?

Hi thanks for the welcomes :)
I’m just south of Lincoln.
My garden is all sorts from fruit and veg to flowers. The lavender seems to be the most popular with the bees at the moment.

Latest posts

Back