Groundhog Day 2012

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Miriads
February 2nd 2012 12.00 noon Sunny Tamar Valley Devon /Cornwall borders

Our Ground hog [TAMAR TIM] saw his shadow... therefore we shall have 40 more days of winter this year..........
:coolgleamA::coolgleamA::coolgleamA:

Last edited:
too much information!!!!

have wrist watches reached cornwall yet for do you still have to drop trousers, lay on ground, think of piskies in the nip and use "Tamar Tim" as a gnomon when you want to know the time?

No, that's measuring wind-speed.

Time is measured by the cooling rate of a freshly cooked pasty.

too much information!!!!

have wrist watches reached cornwall yet for do you still have to drop trousers, lay on ground, think of piskies in the nip and use "Tamar Tim" as a gnomon when you want to know the time?

well, if you type Stitson in a name location search engine, it shows up as of Devon and Cornwall origin

earliest Mr Stitson i can find is about 1530 and he only a mile or so to the east of the Tamar ,but by 1600 there are hundred of Stitson all over Cornwall and a few in Devon so i take your post as just a little local difficulty with the neighbours

interestingly by 1981 census there are alot of you near weybridge

Last edited:
top marks MM

yep - plymouth/south hams origin (although must stress was born in the East End - only for family to heed the call of the mothership once school age approached).

various old spellings - many with ston/stone ending - strong masonic (as in the trade) links

can't find the ref again but one was fined for playing bowls on a sunday in puritan times.

very early migrants to new world - within two generations the name had morphed again to give Stetson and Stitson.

not many of us today - and our branch ends with me.

Last edited:
well, if you type Stitson in a name location search engine, it shows up as of Devon and Cornwall origin

earliest Mr Stitson i can find is about 1530 and he only a mile or so to the east of the Tamar ,but by 1600 there are hundred of Stitson all over Cornwall and a few in Devon so i take your post as just a little local difficulty with the neighbours

interestingly by 1981 census there are alot of you near weybridge

Started researching my family history a couple of years ago and stopped when one of my relations was a Miss Fanny Wort! :svengo:
I'd often wondered what the itching was.........

There is so much information on this website not related to beekeeping I wonder if the name of the Forum needs to be changed to attract a wider audience?

For example:

"Beekeeping and Genealogical Forum"
"Beekeeping and Unrelated Gossip Forum" - BUG Forum
"Beekeeping and Unrelated Arguments Forum"
"Beekeeping and the History of Western Hats and Their Origins Forum
"Beekeeping and Off-Topic CHat Forum" - BOTCH Forum
"Beekeeping and Unrelated Gripes, Groans, Excellence and Righteousness Forum
Beekeeping And Straight Talking Answers, Ripostes and Dangerous Suppositions Forum

and so on.

There is so much information on this website not related to beekeeping I wonder if the name of the Forum needs to be changed to attract a wider audience?

For example:

"Beekeeping and Genealogical Forum"
"Beekeeping and Unrelated Gossip Forum" - BUG Forum
"Beekeeping and Unrelated Arguments Forum"
"Beekeeping and the History of Western Hats and Their Origins Forum
"Beekeeping and Off-Topic CHat Forum" - BOTCH Forum
"Beekeeping and Unrelated Gripes, Groans, Excellence and Righteousness Forum
Beekeeping And Straight Talking Answers, Ripostes and Dangerous Suppositions Forum

and so on.

Beekeeping and what to do on Groundhog Day when it is bloody freezing in the beeshed forum.. to be repeated !

too much information!!!!

if that's the case if the weather there is anything like where i am you'd have to rename him Tiny Tim - hasn't gone above freezing all day.:)

Beekeeping and what to do on Groundhog Day when it is bloody freezing in the beeshed forum.. to be repeated !

I wear thermal socks, overalls and Workwear (3 for c £3 Aldi special offer) gloves which are flexible enough to work with but keep hands warm when you touch metal..

Spent a happy two hours varnishing honey press..at -5C takes a good 24 hours for varnish to dry :-(

(having carefully warmed tin in house first)

I was at a place where we received three printer tables of the type that had a vertical metal panel between the uprights. I touched one and the paint on the panel slid off. Apparently the panel must have been painted when it was cold and condensation formed on the panel, the paint just didn't adhere to the steel. So be careful Madasafish.

Do you really use less varnish because the steel has contracted in the cold? :)

I was at a place where we received three printer tables of the type that had a vertical metal panel between the uprights. I touched one and the paint on the panel slid off. Apparently the panel must have been painted when it was cold and condensation formed on the panel, the paint just didn't adhere to the steel. So be careful Madasafish.

With last nights big freese did you get an "ice crackle finish" ?

Not another 40 days of this...... ground hog has gone back into hibernation !

February 2nd 2015 12.00 noon Sunny Tamar Valley Devon /Cornwall borders

Our Ground hog [TAMAR TIM] saw his shadow... therefore we shall have 40 more days of winter this year..........

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

I know this post above was from 2012.. but I will reply by saying the varnish I applied at -5C in 2012 is still as good as the day it was applied.. ie.. still adhering but a pretty uneven finish but does the job...

Back