Greetings from Manchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jagmn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello folks,

I'm George, living in Withington, Manchester; hoping to get stuck in to beekeeping next year. Pleased to meet you all!

Awesome forum, by the way.

Welcome

Hi George nice to hear you are intrested in keeping bees have you joined the mdbka based at Heaton park a good start is to join if you havent already

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice; I've signed up to their website and hope to attend the beginners course next year.

I'm also doing a lot of reading; there's plenty of material to go through!

Welcome George.
Carry on reading:hairpull: there's plenty of scope!

Hello and welcome George,
Be prepared for both elation and disappointment sometimes at the same time , from both your bee keeping and your experiences on the forum :) .
All in all the crowd on here are a good bunch , as with all good bunches there are a mix of conventional, progressive, madcap , tolerant , in tolerant and of the ideal such as I :winner1st:
The advice on joining the MBKA is sound . I know most of the movers and shakers belonging to the branch although I'm with the Ormskirk and Croston branch. Their set up is superb and they are lucky enough to have excellent facilities in The dower house Heaton park .
My advice would be to take the course , latch onto a beekeeper and work with him for a full season before rushing into buying any bees . A bit of experience will go a long way when it comes to selecting equipment types, bee types and more important how you react to being surrounded by bees on the wing plus gaining the knowledge of just how much commitment is required .
This hobby isn't rocket science ,despite all the rhetoric you will see on here :) but can seem complicated to the newbie !
I hope to see you around from time to time , the 2 branches do come together on occasion :)
VM

Hi VM,

Thanks for the advice :) I've been getting a bit of handling experience from my father (a relatively new beekeeper in Thorpe, Chertsey) to supplement my reading; that's what renewed my interest. I had read about keeping bees when I was in primary school and would have done so then if my parents had any notion of allowing it!

I look forward to meeting you in person sometime. Thanks for the welcome :)

Hi George!

Welcome!

I'm not far from you - on the Burnage/Levenshulme border.
Just completing my first year in the craft - and involved in the Heaton Park lot.
[In fact, I'm going to be a junior member of the apiary team next season.]

Find a good mentor next year, and in the meantime, read, read and read some more!

I also found going to the Convention was an eye-opener as well.
[VM was there with crazy headgear - but I failed to see him!]

Hope to bump into you sometime.

Dusty

Hi George. Good to see you took my recommendation and joined the forum. As VM says Manchester and O&C get together sometimes and you can always come to the Lancashire convention in spring next year and say hello
Eb

Latest posts

Back