Green tomato chutney recipe wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Ok I have a bucket full of green tomatoes and wondering if anyone has a nice simple green tomato chutney recipe or two I can use. I don’t mind if its reasonably sweet or one that can blow your socks off as I can do a variety. Personally spicy for me but the recipients may not appreciate.

Green Tomato and apple chutney.

225g/8oz light soft brown sugar
850ml/1 1/2 pints Malt vinegar
900g/2lb green tomatoes roughly chopped
900g/2lb Bramley apples
225g/8oz sultanas
115g/4oz raisins
225g/8oz shallots roughly chopped
juice of 1 lemon
25g/1 oz salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground mixed spice

Sugar and vinegar into a large pan/preserving pan over a medium heat. Stir often until sugar completely dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and return mixture to the boil.

Reduce heat and simmer gently for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Chutney is ready when a channel made with a wooden spoon does not fill and the mixture is very thick.

Cheers it’s a bit more going on than what I was hoping for but like the mixed spice

It is easy, Tom. But get a few chillies in there, too. Leave it three months and it will be divine.

Yes defiantly going to happen and the adding of the chillies is a good idea as it would be nice to do a variety and the chillies will work well with that. I guess it can be as simple as jar half of a recipe then add a couple of chillies to the rest.

This (from Hugh FW) is very tasty and a little different from run-of-the-mill chutney

Green tomato marmalade

Add chopped crystallised ginger to this if you like, though it's good just as it is. Makes about four 450g jars.

5 lemons
1.5kg green tomatoes, cored and cut into 5mm dice
1.7kg granulated sugar

Use a sharp peeler to remove lemon zest in long, thin strips, being careful not to remove any pith, then cut zest into thin strips. Fill a small pan with about 250ml water, bring to the boil, add zest and simmer for two minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and reserve.

Peel the pith from the lemons, removing as much as you can, then roughly chop the flesh, reserving the pips. Wrap them in a little circle of muslin and tie with kitchen string.

Put the tomatoes into a preserving pan with the lemon zest and flesh, and sugar. Give it a good stir and leave to macerate overnight, then add the bag of pips and 700ml water. Stir over a low heat until any remaining sugar crystals have dissolved. Raise the heat, bring to a rolling boil and boil until the setting point is reached – about 30-40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then pour into jars

the recipients may not appreciate.

Yes defiantly going to happen and the adding of the chillies is a good idea as it would be nice to do a variety and the chillies will work well with that. I guess it can be as simple as jar half of a recipe then add a couple of chillies to the rest.

Are you defiantly thinking of spiking the recipients with chilli ?:reddevil:

I have a recipe from a ww2 Ministry of food leaflet if your still looking recipes?

Steve

Here it is Tom,

1lb onions, minced or chopped
5lb. tomatoes
½ teaspoon salt
½ - 1 teaspoon pickling spices
¾ - 1 teaspoon pint vinegar
1lb Sugar
Cook the onion in a very little water for about 20 minutes, in a covered pan. Add the tomatoes, salt and pickling spices (tied in muslin). Continue cooking until all the ingredients are quite tender (about another ½ hour). It may be necessary to add a little vinegar during cooking, to prevent burning. Then add the sugar and the rest of the vinegar stir well and continue boiling gently with the lid off the pan until the chutney has the consistency of jam and no free vinegar remains. Remove bag of spices.

Steve

Cheers Steve nice and simple it just may be on the short list with a heritage angle to it. I am assuming its ¾ - 1 pint of vinegar and don’t have any muslin cloth so just may keep the spice in.

Not a problem Tom, let us know how it turns out.

Steve

Cheers Steve nice and simple it just may be on the short list with a heritage angle to it. I am assuming its ¾ - 1 pint of vinegar and don’t have any muslin cloth so just may keep the spice in.
Yep, I like the simplicity of it too. Some pickling spice works quite well loose, such as mustard seed. The woodier stuff like cinnamon can be fished out if left whole, or use the powdered version. I've tried improvising with coffee filters and staples before which works if you're careful not to tear it but a bit of a faff. Where you (Tom) are you'll know that by far the cheapest place to buy spices is an Asian grocers. I've had a good crop of apples from some trees I want to make chutney of, but nothing from others. A couple of weeks difference in blossom made an enormous difference.

Hi Tom,

Have you had a chance to try out a chutney recipe?

Stephen

Hi Stephen

No go on the chutney as yet I was all set but other things jumped the queue. The tomatoes are safe and well so all been well this weekend.

'er indoors' Green Tomato and Date Chutney
whack the following into big pan -
500g quartered tomatoes,
500g chopped red onions
250g dates (could use raisins)
500ml vinegar (malt)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
Spices, as she says, put a bit of each in first, and go by taste
1 red chili,
1 teaspoon good curry powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
About 8 freshly ground green cardamoms
Salt to taste
Bring to boil, add 250g sugar, and stir till dissolves, then leave the whole lot to simmer really gently for a couple of hours, stirring, and having surreptitious taste once in a while!
- apparently, the way to tell if it's done is to drag a spoon across the top to make a "furrow" - if it fills with liquid quickly, it probably needs doing a bit longer
It's a rough starter recipe, you can add all sorts - apple, pear etc!

Not a problem Tom, let us know how it turns out.

Steve

Hi Steve

This is the final outcome although the photo from my phone is not great but it looks and tastes great. I deviated slightly and added two teaspoons of pickling spice. It was easy to do but does take a bit of time on the stove to reduce. I have enough tomatoes to make another 6+lb and this time will shovel in a few chillies and ginger.

Cheers :D

Thomas

Mr

as with all chutney recipies half the vinagar, or you may be boiling for hours, tomatos and marrow has a high water content, you can always add vinigar if too thick

Latest posts

Back