green tomato chuckny recipe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingredients

175g/6oz light brown sugar

150ml/5fl oz white wine vinegar

1 shallot, peeled, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, peeled, finely chopped

2cm/¾in piece fresh root ginger, peeled, finely grated

1 red chilli, finely chopped

125g/4½oz sultanas

600g/1lb 5oz green tomatoes, quartered

Preparation method

1.Heat the sugar in a frying pan until the sugar melts and caramelises.

2.Add the white wine vinegar, shallot, garlic, ginger, chilli, sultanas and green tomatoes and bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the chutney has thickened and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid.

3.Spoon the chutney into sterilised jars.

Asked this question a couple of years ago Redwood and settled on this very simple, keep calm and carry on, recipe that the simplicity was worth a go and its a very nice simple tasty chutney. I sometimes add a bit of chilly for extra bite.

1lb onions, minced or chopped
5lb. tomatoes
½ teaspoon salt
½ - 1 teaspoon pickling spices
¾ - 1 teaspoon pint vinegar
1lb Sugar
Cook the onion in a very little water for about 20 minutes, in a covered pan. Add the tomatoes, salt and pickling spices (tied in muslin). Continue cooking until all the ingredients are quite tender (about another ½ hour). It may be necessary to add a little vinegar during cooking, to prevent burning. Then add the sugar and the rest of the vinegar stir well and continue boiling gently with the lid off the pan until the chutney has the consistency of jam and no free vinegar remains. Remove bag of spices.

Neither can I Steve it's a lovely simple recipe and glad you passed it on. You don't have one in your leaflets for red tomatoes by any chance.

I will have a look Tom ee if there is any recipes for red tomatoes.

Steve

I have a recipe for Green Tomato Sauce or Ripe Tomato Sauce if any of these are any use to you Tom? There are other chutney recipes other than tomatoes as well. I also have a leaflet on how to preserve tomatoes.

Steve

I would love to see all of them Steven but the ripe tomato sauce sounds perfect right now as I definitely have plenty of ripe tomatoes.

Sorry it has taken me so long Tom. Only getting around to scanning the leaflets now

Steve

Wow thanks Steve they are great and will print them tomorrow. Just love this sort of stuff lovely simple piece of history. Will definitely do the tomato sauce before my tomatoes start to go off.
Cheers.

Your very welcome, let me know how these recipes go please.

Steve

Back