Green mould under roof of WBC - Advice please...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is one of those - the wooden batten on top seems pretty secure but around the side edges, the roof itself seems to be made up of layers of thin wood which are all separating. It weighs a lot too ....sodden with water I think, so I now have it drying out indoors before assessing how I can repair it. The wood is turning black inside and there is also dusty green mould/mildew. If they weren't so expensive I would chuck it on the bonfire! :hairpull:

Sounds like cheap plywood which is now delaminating, possibly not a suitable exterior grade. Once the layers separate it's had it so no point messing about. Return to the supplier for replacement.

I had exactly the same issue with 2 WBC flat pack kits bought from eBay. All cedar except for the roof halves which separated into 30 sodden layers. I have recently fixed both, the beauty is, because the roof panels are so wet, the sections all come apart very easily and after cutting new rectangular sections to go under the metal roof halves, they were looking as good as new in 30 minutes. I thought I would need to buy new roofs at the time, but very quick and easy to fix even with my limited woodworking skills. The original roof material had a big Chinese sticker on the bottom and was just about the worst material you would ever consider using. Good luck with the restoration :smash::smash:

Back