Great taste awards.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luck

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
I've had a bit of a surprise today.

The people that take my honey in the south of England entered the summer one in the Great taste awards 2012 organised by the Guild of fine food this year and it's been awarded a two gold star rating. OK not the three star but not bad all the same - 2 star = faultless but not sublime and blind tasted by a number of what they call "food experts".

Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick and I can use the award logo on my honey.;)

http://www.greattasteawards.co.uk/

Chris

Thanks, but the credit all goes to the bees that make it, as people know I don't do much for them - poor little souls. Anyway I'll be telling some of them later when it cools down, 36°C today and worse to come.

Chris

Many congrats, even though YOU didnt make it, you assisted the bees too! Must feel good all the same.not worthy

well done on your honey awards 2012 2 gold stars maybe 2016 3 gold stars Olympic bees there Chris must be something your doing :D

Well done Chris, nice to see some recognition for your had work

I agree. And make the most of those two stars.

But how did Aldi get a couple of honeys in there, one being manuka?

May I also genuinely add my congratulations - well done!

I agree. And make the most of those two stars.

But how did Aldi get a couple of honeys in there, one being manuka?

Never shopped at aldi then? most of thier food is better than the socalled finest crud tescos sells, they have never been prosicuted for selling rubbish like tescos has.

lol lol

I've had a bit of a surprise today.

The people that take my honey in the south of England entered the summer one in the Great taste awards 2012 organised by the Guild of fine food this year and it's been awarded a two gold star rating. OK not the three star but not bad all the same - 2 star = faultless but not sublime and blind tasted by a number of what they call "food experts".

Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick and I can use the award logo on my honey.;)

http://www.greattasteawards.co.uk/

Chris

The food experts are people that have worked or still work producing and selling food within the the independant food sector, they are invited thorugh the guild of fine food retailers to be judges, usually about 100 or so, mostly independant retailers such as Deli owners or butchers, or work either producing or importing and distributing fine foods, with a smattering of food writers. You work as a team usually 5/6 people and you work to different criteria, not just taste even though they are the great taste awards, there can be lots of arguments between the judges to. It is also done from plain packaging so peoples prejudices against companies are rulled out.

when i had my business it was an honour to be invited to judge at the awards, which i did a few times and also the world cheese awards.

its a shame they have changed the awards from gold, silver and bronze to 1,2 or 3 gold stars. People do really look at these awards highly over here, it helps producers get their products into stores such as harrods, Fortnams and others.

Also well done you will be surprised how many dont even make the 1 star its not easy.

Nice one, son. How you gonna reward the bees? Extra special sugar?

Thanks very much everyone and thanks for the information, especially 'dpearce4'. I really had no idea just what this amounted to and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it carries some weight.

The thing is as most will know I'm not really in it "for the money" and don't even take the honey from all my colonies - and that's not because I can't find them.;)
Anyway it's not that the money doesn't matter, it makes all the difference to my bits of pension from France and the UK but I don't want it to become just a business, it's more part of a way of life with all that goes with it.

I did think of giving the bees a treat but of course I don't.:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't help that.

Chris

Never shopped at aldi then? most of thier food is better than the socalled finest crud tescos sells, they have never been prosicuted for selling rubbish like tescos has.

lol lol

I shop at Aldi all the time, Dpearce4. Clearly this isn't about local or whole foods.

Back