Granulation in Heather honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that. I asked because curly was going to warm his honey at that temperature to melt it.

He would learn, how temperatures work.

I heat water bath to 55C. It melts crystals. In 60C small wax particles start to melt and honey get aroma of melted wax.

The surface of the honey bucket gets first the highest temperature. But it is not the original water temperature, because the temp of honey affects too to the water.

When I put 25 kg bucket into the water bath, the water starts to cool down at same time as honey's temperature rises.

I have done experiments with my water bath system , and that is why I know.

Everybody has his own system, and he should learn to use it.

Last edited:
Since Ling heather honey contains more protein (up to 2% in pure ling) than other UK honies you should not heat it to too high a temp as the colloidal protein in it coagulates. Also since heather honey can't be strained as finely as other honies it tends to have more wax fragments/debris in it which melt at 62/63 C (as mentioned by Finman)

Last edited:
He would learn, how temperatures work.

I heat water bath to 55C. It melts crystals. In 60C small wax particles start to melt and honey get aroma of melted wax.

The surface of the honey bucket gets first the highest temperature. But it is not the original water temperature, because the temp of honey affects too to the water.

When I put 25 kg bucket into the water bath, the water starts to cool down at same time as honey's temperature rises.

I have done experiments with my water bath system , and that is why I know.

Everybody has his own system, and he should learn to use it.
I'm still learning about water baths and melting honey it's something I know will come with time.
The honey in the first post has been in a water bath at 35c for about 5 hrs today while I was out with the girls. IMG_20211105_205508.jpg
It's back to a jelly like consistency and no crystals, it has retained lots of bubbles.IMG_20211029_112447.jpg
Had to have some on some toast

The honey in the first post has been in a water bath at 35c for about 5 hrs today while

The temp of 35C is temp of the hive, and crystals will not melt in the hive.

Note, that your honey in jars was not granulated to the end. It is just begin. That is why honey softened in 35C.

The temp of 35C is temp of the hive, and crystals will not melt in the hive.

Note, that your honey in jars was not granulated to the end. It is just begin. That is why honey softened in 35C.
I agree if it was completely granulated I would of warmed it at 50c for 30 minutes

Back