Grafting larvae from the same hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,I want to really boost my hive #'s this coming season. I have been using the occasional cell or VQ, but mostly pauper splits I was doing ok this way till I had a horrible thought with hive losses of at least 35 > 50 % over the last 3 years, that I was unwhitingly passing on bad Q genetics.

I have some what seem to be super duper hives, .... so Q multiplication from these hives make sense, although her genetics is only 1/2 the story

I am pretty sure I will go with the Harry Cloake method, it seems V simple, and you can introduce grafts made up in a multitude of ways

Anyway I happened to bump into a fella who was out checking winter nucs, and who has been raising Q's for 20 odd years, he made the point about same larvae, just thought i'd check with you fella's, don't want to be going down a wrong pathway to start

Boost the colony with frames of brood from other colonies to the point where it is busting with bees.... double brood box at least.
Take a knife to the frame of eggs you want to raise queens from... cut a load of V shapes into the comb and put this in the top brood box, put the queen in a super on the bottom with drawn comb with a queen excluder over.
Harvest a couple of dozen sealed queen cells from the Millar frame in 14 days.

Back