Grafting eggs not "c" shape larvae?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwenyn11

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Im going to give grafting a go this year. One question I cant seem to find a answer for. Every book I read says you should graft "c" shape larvae. I understand why.... But why would grafting a newly laid egg not work. If the hive is queenless then surely this would work?

a book titled 'Breeding superbees' covers grafting eggs and goes into some detail about how to make a V shaped tool and so on. it explains that the acceptance rate is rather low in comparison to grafting larvae.

Strips of eggs in the cells feature in several methods but what's the point? Grafting is simple enough. Also I expect the pheromones from the open brood feature...

As above as not every egg hatches so by using very young larvae you are ruling out one source of failure before you start.

PH

Its also much easier to physically transfer a larvae as it floats in a pool of royal jelly while an egg is "glued" to the bottom of the cell.

...and I find that a damp soft fine paintbrush is a very delicate way to transfer. Grafting tools are more tricky -IMO

Hi,

Im going to give grafting a go this year. One question I cant seem to find a answer for. Every book I read says you should graft "c" shape larvae. I understand why.... But why would grafting a newly laid egg not work. If the hive is queenless then surely this would work?

i find eggs are really difficult to graft,the larvae are much easier with a lot less chance of damaging when grafting

"Its also much easier to physically transfer a larvae as it floats in a pool of royal jelly while an egg is "glued" to the bottom of the cell."

:iagree: eggs easily damaged - larvae are picked up on a "cushion" of jelly.

and as PH says not every egg is viable so you're not wasting time grafting duds. (bit like keeping open QCs and destroying sealed ones - you're sure that there is something going on!).

Provided the larva is less that a day old there's no advantage in going for eggs.
I HAVE put in eggs that are in cupkit cells into queen rearing hives and they are fine.

Viability of eggs is down to the operator - damage seems to be the likely cause of that type of failure (just look at the laying pattern on a good frame - not a lot of unviable eggs and no sign of any being replaced with eggs at a later date (all capped in succession, all emerge i concentric rings). It is simply the success rate for youg larvae, for whatever reason, is so 'far superior' to moving eggs. Proven in practice, over and over again, so doesn't need further proving. Until someone comes up with a new method from research, this is one to 'follow the crowd'.

I had a sticker on my Landy. It said. 'wear wool, 35 million sheep can't be wrong!'

Latest posts

Back