Grafting and larvae age

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been trying my hand at grafting this year for the first time and I'm getting over a 50% acceptance rate which I'm happy with given I'm just learning.

I'm picking the youngest larvae I can see but this made me wonder what studies have there been regarding larave age and queen quality?

I'm sure I'll get better with practise I'm very curious about the impact of age on final queen quality.

The earlier the better as then they are fed as Queens for longer.

I aim for 12 hours old. (ish)

PH

The earlier the better as then they are fed as Queens for longer.

I aim for 12 hours old. (ish)

PH

I understand that, I'm asking is there any research that shows the impact on queen quality as the larvae gets older. For example does a 48 hour old grub produce a 30% worst queen.

Books say day 4*... ( day 0 is lay day)
I have been trying out a Hopkins board and allowing bees to select what they want for a queen.... day 4* seems to be the ones they draw down.
Perhaps after a few millennia the bees have worked it out for themselves?

Yeghes da

I understand that, I'm asking is there any research that shows the impact on queen quality as the larvae gets older. For example does a 48 hour old grub produce a 30% worst queen.

You can see it with your own eyes when you graft different size larvae.

When queen has emerged, look how much royal jelly is left on the bottom of cell.

Then, when you rear queen in a nuc, queens are not much bigger than a worker.

Latest posts

Back