good news

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepeaceful

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am on my third year and this has been the trickiest. Drone laying queen in one hive after an AS but after transferring a frame from another hive, they have a beautiful laying queen. The frames of capped brood were a lovely surprise when i returned from my holidays. Well done girls! And today I took my queen marking kit with me just incase I saw any of the new queens. Bless them, I saw, caught and marked them both. This is the first time I've marked any so I am feeling pleased. Also earlier in the season the bee inspector came and I was so nervous but he was lovely and there were no problems. (efb identified nearby so hence an inspector called). And I have taught my daughter some bee keeping and she now has hives of her own. I did a course before I had my bees and read Hooper from cover to cover, but I have learned a lot by reading threads on this forum so thank you. I expect I will learn a lot more from it too.

It's good when it all comes together. Well done.
This forum is the greatest resource. Long may it live, warts and all :)

Suggest you clip the queens before spring too, as otherwise they will probably swarm before you know it and then you lose bees and crop.

It's good when it all comes together. Well done.

And you can always get a cream for the warts...

Suggest you clip the queens before spring too, as otherwise they will probably swarm before you know it and then you lose bees and crop.

If you want to. Not everyone clips queens and they do not always swarm "before you know it".

:iagree:

Afermo wrote Suggest you clip the queens before spring too, as otherwise they will probably swarm before you know it and then you lose bees and crop."
Thank you. I may regret not clipping them but at the moment I am not planning to clip them. It took me until now to be brave enough to mark them. I think they are amazing and beautiful so I couldn't bring myself to clip them at the moment. It is a hobby not my living. My bees aren't very swarmy and so far I have managed to avert their plans to swarm. However never say never. These queens and their progeny may be different.

psafloyd wrote"If you want to. Not everyone clips queens and they do not always swarm "before you know it".
Thank you for your comment. One thing you soon learn on the forum is there are different ways of bee keeping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back